WAG Wrist pain/Tiger Paws - again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think this is true. My daughter is very strong in her hands and wrists -- she's been thru a ton of PT and OT. However, skinny little girl wrists were not designed to take the kind of pounding and force a Yurckenko vault (and other tumbling) put on them. She has been instructed to wear them for vault and floor by both the ortho and PT.

Totally agree with this! I think that it is a somewhat common problem when you hit level 8+ and are pounding those little wrists!

Especially since dd has been wearing tiger paws for 2 years now with no wrist issues until now.

I don't think this is true. My daughter is very strong in her hands and wrists -- she's been thru a ton of PT and OT. However, skinny little girl wrists were not designed to take the kind of pounding and force a Yurckenko vault (and other tumbling) put on them. She has been instructed to wear them for vault and floor by both the ortho and PT.

You are probably right...I never said my teenager knew what she was talking about, but clearly she heard that somewhere. We have a few girls at our that wear tiger paws, so I can ask their parents what prompted them to get them. I also have no idea what our coaches' view is of them, so depending on what the ortho says we may be having further conversations about this.

I don't think DDs issue is hypermobility, but maybe lack of flexibility. Also worth asking about.

Thanks for all of the input!

My daughter is currently complaining of wrist pain, just one wrist. She is L6. Not "officially" Yurchenko's. But they do many of the drills I have seen.

But the amount of BHS and BHS/hand stand drills she has been doing lately has been incredible, especially on beam.

Coach said no need for tiger paws. That was a couple of weeks ago. Wrist pain has not resolved yet. We will be seeing an ortho this week.

But based on this thread and many others I am thinking why the heck are waiting to support her wrists. o_O

Definitely worth asking about -- lack of flexibility and range of motion can def be factors as well. The OT did lots of "testing" of these things and dd had a lot of soft-tissue work on her arm, hand and shoulders to loosen it all up.

Good luck to you....I think it's something we will continue to have to manage, so we will learn as we go.

My daughter is currently complaining of wrist pain, just one wrist. She is L6. Not "officially" Yurchenko's. But they do many of the drills I have seen.

But the amount of BHS and BHS/hand stand drills she has been doing lately has been incredible, especially on beam.

Coach said no need for tiger paws. That was a couple of weeks ago. Wrist pain has not resolved yet. We will be seeing an ortho this week.

But based on this thread and many others I am thinking why the heck are waiting to support her wrists. o_O
I wouldn't wait either...just tell the coach "Drs orders" (depending on what they say). But, either way -- she will need them sooner or later anyway; seems as if she needs it now.

Get wrist supports and see ortho immediately! Glad we didn't wait!!

Ok, back from the ortho. 1) Leg xrays look great!! We officially do not need to see him for any more follow up on that, unless something occurs! 2) He thinks the wrist was a strain given that there is no swelling, no pain to touch, and the pain has been decreasing over the last couple of days. DD said she didn't feel much yesterday at practice. We agreed to "watch it" for the next 1-2 weeks. If pain continues or increases, we go back for a recheck. We can consider tiger paws, but again he felt like there was likely a strain that occurred during a workout a week ago that is now resolving.

I am hoping he is right. Watching it for another week or two seemed to make sense. She only has Platinum Regionals left for competition 1.5 weeks, so that is the good news. If she needs a break after that, it is early enough in summer training that we welcome it!!

Thanks for all of the input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back