WAG Wrist pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Try skids for beam. My son missed 7 months due to gymnast wrists/fractures in both wrists. It is fine to miss a season, just let her keep conditioning. But her coach has to respect the limitations and has to understand ntgat with the wrist history your DD will be wearing wrist supports.

I am glad she was able to get back to competing and regained some confidence! That is great.

My daughter had one long extended period out of the gym (very minimal activity) and a couple shorter bouts of limited activity. She ended up with both wrist pain and shin splints the first time she came back and she's struggling with a bit of shin splints again. I think it is really easy to get some issues as their bodies readjust to the demands of gymnastics. We worked with our physical therapist to try and minimize it. Hopefully, your daughter can make some adjustments and the pain will go away. I know how frustrating it is to deal with pain again so soon after having to take time off.

She's been using them on floor and vault. This time she said her wrist started hurting on beam. Do girls use them on beam?
Mine wears them on Floor, beam and vault.

Her wrist injury actually happened on beam, 4 years ago. She has had them on since.

And yes she also uses just the foam, not the plastic inserts

If anyone is curious about our wrist pain saga....she returned to full activity and competed in two meets, including states. She brought home a few medals, got her confidence back. Her last meet is a home meet and its this upcoming weekend.

She came home from practice last night complaining of the same pain but in the other wrist. We're headed back to the ortho doc on Monday. Beginning to wonder if maybe this isn't the sport for her. I don't want her to be injured all the time. :(
Ugh...sorry to hear that. I hope you got better news this time. My DD finally came back after 10 weeks of no upper body activity on 12/23. Our 2nd opinion ortho said that it was healed, should come back slow, and might have to just fight though some pain. So far so good. She's taping both wrists and wearing the tiger paws. Probably pushing herself to hard. Her first L 7 meet is this weekend. Looks like she's competing all 4 events.

She's back in a splint and off weight bearing for another 6 weeks. Luckily her team is uptraining skills she already has so hopefully she's not missing much.

Once she's back I'm going to encourage her to tape at the beginning of every practice. She was doing that at first and then just stopped for whatever reason. She said her pain is less when wearing her tiger paws so I think tape would help too with the events where she can't wear the tiger paws..... Ortho won't say for sure yet if this is growth spurt related or if its its something that may stop her from competing in the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back