Wrist protectors

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok after 3 weeks of indecision DD finally went with the Nastia Russian Heritage Grips. Several of the older girls got them and love them and the coach really likes them. So DD decided now that she can have buckle ones she would follow the pack and go with them too.

My Question is the Wrist protectors that go under the grips. DD is totally mad at me for not getting them with the grips - LOL hey It didn't even occur to me that she needed them.

At L 5 and L6 she was just using extra long wrist sweat bands. Well when we went online to get some who knew there would be choices.

we can get from DGS

1 - terry extra long sweat bands like she had before (old one are no good anymore)

2 - Neoprene wrist protectors - cost about $8 not sure what Neoprene is.

3 - Wrist Savers and Grip Rip Eliminators - cost about $25 again not sure what they are but they are lined with terry.

ANY SUGGESTIONS on which work best?

yeah, plain old terry sweat bands do the job really well and are cheap and washable too.
Not used the other types before but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

My DD loves the ten-o wrist bands that are not terry but the flat material. We have also used the English Bull-Dog wrist bands and love them too. They last a long time.

I like the terry ones because some of my friends have neoprene and they say it is very sticky and difficult to take off. Good luck.

My gymmie uses a velcro grip. Just uses the sweat bands(terry cloth) underneath. Ten-0 does have a neoprene like wrist cushion that comes with some of their grips(including the ones my gymmie wears). Once they are put in, they're in---no taking them out. She did fine with just a sweat band although does think this little extra insert makes the grips more comfortable. I wouldn't pay $25 for something she probably doesn't need---and you've never been able to try.

the neoprene are harder to wash, but i found them more comfortable because there was less pressure on your wrists, but i was also one of the people who had to have their grips wrapped supertight

I tried neoprene wristbands for awhile when my wrists bled every time I went to bars, but I hated them; they were slippery and didn't quite fit my arms. In addition to the wristbands sliding around, my grips also refused to stay in one place on the neoprene. The terry cloth ones give me nasty wrist rips, but I feel much more comfortable with them. Also, I never wash my wristbands (when they turn yellow, I'll rinse them in the sink, but nothing more than that), so that wasn't a concern for me.

I love my neoprene wrist bands. I found they cushioned my wrists more than the cotton bands. My wrists get really bruised if I use cotton. But most of my friends are just fine with cotton. Neoprene is a rubbery material and is thicker than cotton. Neoprene does get sweaty so I dip the insides of mine in the chalk bucket before I put on my grips and store them inside out. I also have not found them hard to wash - I just rinse them in a little soap and water.

I bet you can find some of each lying around your daughter's gym that she can try out. If you can't do that, I'd probably have her start with cotton. It's cheaper, and most gymnasts seem to like them just fine. If her wrists start hurting, then maybe switch to neoprene.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back