WAG Wrist Strenghtening exersises?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sglemon

Proud Parent
Any advice or recommendations?

My DDs wrists are bothering her, but I am not sure how much. It doesn't affect her skills at all. You just see her bending and rotating them after vault and floor. She says they bother her, but isn't in any distress. The minute she leaves the gym she doesn't think about it. The coach mention that if they bother her, get wrist supports. Ummm... NO.. I told her coach I refuse to get them at this point because all they will accomplish now is to weaken them. It doesn't help when you see her team mates wearing those and heel cups. You would think Severs was contagious if you walked into her gym. Half the girls haven't even been DX with Severs or anything. They complain about pain and moms buy wrist supports and heel cups. We did get past her wanting heel cups. LOL!

Anyway, I do have some of that OT putty for hand strength she got after a hand injury. I know that wouldn't hurt. But is there anything she could do around the home, gym or school, like when she is standing around waiting, to help those muscles in her wrists and hands? Any exercises in the gym?

Thank you!

I used soup cans as weights. Lift 10 with palms down, 10 with palms up, and 10 sideways. I would do 3 sets once a day. Helps a lot with wrist strength. It is a light enough weight to be effective but not to stressful on the wrists.

It wasn't until Yurchenko vaults came along that you'd see so many kids wearing these things. I like them for kids doing Yurchenko vaults and long, low, powerful tumbling, but I chuckle under my breath when I walk into a gym and see all the gear some L6 and L7 kids "bolt on" to "enhance" their abilities to tumble or vault.

There are enough activites in a gym practice to maintain wrist strength and mobility, that I wouldn't be concerned about using braces for vaulting at the Tsukahara, Yurchenko, and handspring front level, and floor at the 3/2twist, 2/1 tuck level, or for kids that are learning how to convert genuine linear speed into height with rotation. Other than those times, the braces should be left off.

Your dd's wrists bothering her may be from the impact with the vault and floor, and not from over-stretching her wrists. There are kids that take a long time to adjust to those impacts, and I've given them "homework" to walk on their hands for five minutes in the morning and five minutes in the evening. This should be done on a hard surface to create light and repetitive contact, and only by kids that really know how to bail out. I've hard kids tell me how they walk back and forth on the backyard patio, the garage floor, sidewalk....you name it they've done it. Most of them used light weight gloves to protect their hands from scapes, so figure on needing a pair for you dd.

You can use small weights, very slowly extending and flexing the wrist. You can also use a small slosh pipe to work the stabilising muscles.

Yes, you can do the wrist circles with a light weight. Do lots of reps. Mainly you are trying to get blood and nutrient flow through the tissues.

There is a reason the Chinese are known for long duration handstands on the wall. 15-30 minutes, sometimes 45. It is something that needs to be built up to but makes the wrist, elbow, and shoulder strong. Basically high volume, low intensity work. Again, it something that they build up slowly over probably a decade.

Video games

(just to clarify, that was a joke)

I hear ya. Beloved video game tester son is having some wrist problems. Hard to imagine eh! I gave him some basic strengthening moves to do, like in post two. Told him to ice, take advil and to STOP GAMING AT HOME! He said he might as well die!

Any advice or recommendations?

My DDs wrists are bothering her, but I am not sure how much. It doesn't affect her skills at all. You just see her bending and rotating them after vault and floor. She says they bother her, but isn't in any distress. The minute she leaves the gym she doesn't think about it. The coach mention that if they bother her, get wrist supports. Ummm... NO.. I told her coach I refuse to get them at this point because all they will accomplish now is to weaken them. It doesn't help when you see her team mates wearing those and heel cups. You would think Severs was contagious if you walked into her gym. Half the girls haven't even been DX with Severs or anything. They complain about pain and moms buy wrist supports and heel cups. We did get past her wanting heel cups. LOL!

Anyway, I do have some of that OT putty for hand strength she got after a hand injury. I know that wouldn't hurt. But is there anything she could do around the home, gym or school, like when she is standing around waiting, to help those muscles in her wrists and hands? Any exercises in the gym?

Thank you!

wrist supports used in gymnastics, like tiger paws and velcro supports DO NOT weaken wrists. sometimes they can cause other problems up the arms, and sometimes they are psychologically anecdotal, but they DO NOT weaken wrists. you were given bad information on this. and heel cups work for some kids and for some they don't. depends on the structural nature of their feet, achilles and lack of flexibility of the ankle joint.

her wrists may be "bothering" her because of the blood that is forced (internal force of bodily fluids and such) thru the wrist and hand during the activity. they get a sensation kinda like when your hand falls asleep and the top of the hand gets warm and numb for a moment. this may be why you see her doing what she does after doing certain things and may be perfectly normal notwithstanding an underlying wrist issue.

so please, don't poo poo the certain and effective aids that we have been using in gymnastics for years with proven results for most children. thank you.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back