Wrist update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
So DD had and MRI of both wrists yesterday as some of you know she has had bilateral wrist pain for about 6 weeks now.

The answer is this no stress fractures Yippee!!!! However she has mild to moderate inflamation of the growth plates on both wrists.....UGH

The nickname for this is gymnasts wrist go figure huh. She has been off them completely for 2 weeks and she will spend 2 - 4 weeks more off them and hope they feel better..

It is an ok time of year for this I am glad there are no stress fractures. She will get good at conditioning , leaps, jumps, turn and anything that doesnt require hands. LOL

Anyone else had this problem?? If so how did it heal??

DD is lucky this is her first major set back injury wise and she is training Level 8 so we are greatful for that. DD is very worried she will loose her skills inthis time ecspecially her giants she worked so hard on. I think she wil be fine and she has no choice anyways.

Please pray they heal and fuse fast once they fuse no more problems I guess they say.

Thanks for listening and the support. You guys are great.

Well that is good news, and taking a break is never a bad thing for a gymnasts body, skills come back quickly and she will be ready to rock when she hits the gym.

Yes I have wrist pain. I've gone to the doctor about it and they all say the same thing stay off of them (Have they not seen gymnastics). I've really hurt my wrists bad mainly because I have such small and weak wrists. I wear braces on both of them for extra support but most of the time its like ''well let me deal with the pain''.

Hope her wrist get better soon!

I am so glad to hear that it is not a stress fracture !! Wrists are a really tricky injury for gymnasts. That is what finally took my dd out of the sport. Because of stress fractures in her wrist she was off of them for almost 4 months. There is only so much conditioning you can do !!!! Although I will say she got pretty good at one armed tumbling - even did one hand bwo on beam. I hope your dd's wrist feels better quick so she can go back to all the fun of gymnastics !!!

Glad to hear that there are no fractures. My dd has dealt with wrist pain too. I see that your dd is training Level 8. May I ask, what vault is she training? My next question would be how old is she and where do her growth plates stand, are they still wide open or has she gone through puberty and they are closed now.

It seems a lot of girls start to have wrist pain when they get to this level. In our gym, the answer to the cause of the problem has been the Yurchenko vault. It puts a ton of pressure on the wrists when they reach back and block off the vault table. This is why dd now wears the wrist braces when vaulting and HC has limited the number of vaults she will do in a practice. We have found it is not really the timer that does anything, it's when they start really blocking off the table and flipping.

Let me mention though that bars has not been a problem and she can do bars all do long because when they do bars, their wrists are not being held the same way. Actually the wrist during bars are usually straight and that is not the problem. The problem and pain come when the wrists are sort of like a 90 degree angle, ex/ press handstands, BHS, handstand holds - where the wrists are in the same type of position.

Just thought I'd share dd's wrist story....

Wrist injuries are quite common and there are plenty of skills she can work on in the meantime. Like you said, she can work conditioning , leaps, jumps, and turns. Since she is training Level 8, there are also plenty of aerial skills she can work, on floor, on tramp, or into a pit: standing tucks, pikes, layouts, fulls, ext., front and back aerials, whips, ext.

Once she is able to continue full workouts, she may want to get some sort of wrist brace (tigerpaws, ext) or tape her wrists, as well as she a physical therapist about exercises to strengthen her wrists. Simple exercises with light weights can make a big difference.

Glad it's nothing fractured. I know Beth hasn't had pain at all, but her coach is recommending she get wrist supports for use with vaulting (for yurchenkos? I know I can't spell that right!)

Hope your DD inflammation goes away.

Glad to hear that there are no fractures. My dd has dealt with wrist pain too. I see that your dd is training Level 8. May I ask, what vault is she training? My next question would be how old is she and where do her growth plates stand, are they still wide open or has she gone through puberty and they are closed now.

Just thought I'd share dd's wrist story....

Thanks for the help.

We train Tsuks for Level 8 our Head Coach is not keen on Yurchenkos. I guess at this point that seems good.

She is 13 1/2 yrs growth plates are not fused yet. They are not wide open but not closed she thought they may fuse in next year or so.

Dr. seemed to think the twisting on bars was worse but vault something she read some where. She will be using tiger paws when she gets back to it and taking things slow. I agree the 90 degree angel seems to make them wors

For now no anything that uses her hands for a couple more weeks this is to help them heal so they dont flair up in say December.

Thanks for the story and sharing it helps grealty to know others have gone down this same road.

Wrists are common injury sites for gymnasts, speaking from personal experience. After taking a break, I would suggest doing lots of physical therapy exercises because taking a break isn't just going to make the problem go away. Chances are that her wrists are going to continue to hurt, even after taking some time off.

I advise against wearing braces, such as Tiger Paws unless it is absolutely necessary due to the fact that relying on braces often weaken the wrists additionally. To combat this, I would suggest physical therapy exercises and wearing the braces only when needed--such as on vault, and not to wear them there is no pain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back