WAG #wst

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wonder if those companies would consider sponsoring the gymnasts, or at least pay travel fees?

I don’t think any company is coming to the rescue any time soon. But I do expect USAG athlete membership to go up. That’s my prediction. They got to start adding more revenue somehow.

I don’t think any company is coming to the rescue any time soon. But I do expect USAG athlete membership to go up. That’s my prediction. They got to start adding more revenue somehow.
I don't expect any companies coming to rescue USAG anytime soon, but I do wonder if smaller, gym based companies would consider a sort of sponsorship of athletes. I don't know how all of the logistics would work out, but it would be nice to see companies do a sort of "sponsorship" of athletes to offset travel costs to the smaller international events that provide such great experience for the newer/younger elites. I think it would be tricky as no one wants their name affiliated with USAG as a sponsor at this point, and an official sponsorship of specific athletes can be tricky with NCAA eligibility (I know it can be done, they would just need to be careful) but I wonder if there could just be a general athlete fund that companies would feel good about supporting that directly benefits the athletes and not the organization. I would think even a third party could organize such an account (with proper monitoring) so USAG would never even touch the funds.

I don't expect any companies coming to rescue USAG anytime soon, but I do wonder if smaller, gym based companies would consider a sort of sponsorship of athletes. I don't know how all of the logistics would work out, but it would be nice to see companies do a sort of "sponsorship" of athletes to offset travel costs to the smaller international events that provide such great experience for the newer/younger elites. I think it would be tricky as no one wants their name affiliated with USAG as a sponsor at this point, and an official sponsorship of specific athletes can be tricky with NCAA eligibility (I know it can be done, they would just need to be careful) but I wonder if there could just be a general athlete fund that companies would feel good about supporting that directly benefits the athletes and not the organization. I would think even a third party could organize such an account (with proper monitoring) so USAG would never even touch the funds.

This is what I was trying to suggest. Sponsor the athletes, not the organization. You just said it so much better.

I get what you are suggesting but the problem is companies that sponsor are putting their name to an event in most cases. They’ll get TV exposure and be able to run promotions at events such as US classic or Championships. Sponsoring travel doesn’t get a whole lot of return on their investment other than goodwill. I’m hoping when Simone comes back the door will open back up to sponsors coming back. People will be more willing to sponsor a comeback by the GOAT and get dollars back helping USAG.

Regarding the hashtag:

I found it incredibly interesting that numerous US elites posted #wst within minutes of each other. And every single one of those first posters included Valeri in their pics. Since then, there have been lots of (I assume) copycat posts that were of other gymnastics or #metoo related things.

But why did ALL of the original posters, as well as many since, include Valeri? I have seen countless pics of national and developmental teams that don’t include Valeri, so why didn’t the original posters pick from one of the many pics without him?

Or... alternatively, he could very easily have been cut out of some of the other pics that were used, but he was left in those posts for some reason.

So I had to ask myself why? And it occurred to me...what if the current US Elites were actually happy and thriving under Valeri’s leadership. What if his system was completely different than the old system? What if his methods had changed from what even he used to use in his personal coaching? What if Valeri was unfairly lumped into the horrific Nassar tragedy?

What if, those current Elites have been treated well and protected under his leadership? What if they love him and don’t want to lose him? With the current popular opinion about all things USAG, how could those athletes communicate their support and love for Valeri without appearing heartless and selfish?

Shouldn’t the girls who are currently working so hard to reach their goals have a voice in their own lives? They have more knowledge than anyone about his current leadership and the current methods used.

A handful of Valeri’s former gymnasts have said some negative things about him, but many have spoken in support of him as well.

I’m just piecing a cryptic puzzle together. Maybe I’m doing wrong. Lol! But I do always try to make myself look at situations from other possible perspectives outside of popular opinion.

Hopefully, we will get more actual intel on this soon.

I tend to believe his past athletes, but this does not mean he hasn't changed. He needed to speak to the victims own his past actions and demonstrate he has changed. He needed to lead. Possibly he can think about everything and make a more profound statement, one befitting the National Team Coordinator. None of this will be easy.

My Two Cents.

I tend to believe his past athletes, but this does not mean he hasn't changed. He needed to speak to the victims own his past actions and demonstrate he has changed. He needed to lead. Possibly he can think about everything and make a more profound statement, one befitting the National Team Coordinator. None of this will be easy.

My Two Cents.

I think it's possible to believe his past athletes AND his current athletes/colleagues.

There could be many reasons, maybe he has changed? Maybe he treats different gymnasts differently? Maybe a bit like some of Nassars victims that they don’t realise that it is abuse? Maybe they feel that with him they are succeeding and are willing to put up with abuse?
The thing is unless we are there and one of his gymnasts none of us truly know what the reason is, we can guess but we don’t know.

Those of us that have been in the system are trying to say that the experience that people are wanting was taking place. I’ve been going to those camps for three years and never was a voice raised. If there was something he wanted to have changed, he’d walk over and ask if there was a reason you were doing “x” and not “y”. Then he’d discuss the options. It was professional and respectful. This is the experience that we had at the camps. I wasn’t there with Marta or with Valeri years ago. I can only give my experience.
As far as not speaking out, I have a feeling that the usag attorneys advised the staff to not make public statements. This is common during lawsuits.
I’m sure this isn’t what a lot of you want to hear but I feel it’s important to consider.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back