WAG Xcel Competition Leotard Sleeve Length

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted, but I'm still coaching and loving it.

My gym has decided to make the switch from JO to Xcel, and I think I've got all those changes down.

We're looking at getting new competition leotards, and at my gym we do it a little differently to try to keep costs down. Instead of asking the gymnast's families to buy the leotards the gym buys them and the gymnasts pay a rental fee and a deposit.

Looking at buying new leos, my new boss was planning to get short sleeved leotards for all the Xcel girls, Bronze through Platinum, and says that all Xcel gyms compete in short sleeve. I'm not convinced.

My suspicion is that most gyms have their littles, Bronze and maybe Silver, in short sleeves but would still be similar to JO in that the older ones, the Golds and Platinums, would all be in long sleeves.

What do you guys have for sleeve length for each of the Xcel levels?

my dd had long sleeve the first year of xcel and then they switched to 3-quarter sleeve the next. we did see some tanks and, while i don't think there's any harm in having them, they would be in the minority (speaking from NC/Region 8).

At our old (large) gym gold and below are the same (3/4 sleeve) as the compulsory girls. I think that platinum and diami d might have worn the optionals Leo.

At our new (small) gym all girls are wearing the same Leo (3/4 sleeves) regardless of jo or xcel.

We are in region 8.

All the competitive teams at dd's gym from level 1-10 and all Xcel levels have 3/4 sleeves. There are different Leos for Xcel and compulsory and optional, but all are 3/4 sleeves.

It would probably depend where you are located. In my state most bronze/silvers have tanks, and I would estimate about 1/2 of the G/P/D have tanks.

My DD original gym had tank for bronze and long sleeve for everyone else. Her other gyms since have all had either 3/4 or long sleeve leotards for all xcel levels. There weren't many gyms we competed against (past bronze) with tank leos at all, maybe one or two gyms. I will say that my DDs last comp leo, a 3/4 sleeve, was less than $60.

ETA: we are in region 1

DD's gym did long sleeved for Xcel and I HATED it, because one of the sleeves was sheer and it was such a pain trying to make sure they didn't snag. When she did L3, it was a tank leo, and L4 at the new gym will be tank as well. The optional girls tend to get the fancier long sleeved ones. I'd say regardless of Xcel or compulsory, it's pretty split 50/50 on whether they do long or tank. I like tank only because it's one less thing not to fit right. DD's long sleeved leo was so SKINNY on the sleeves putting it on was an undertaking, which is tough when they have to go to the bathroom mid-meet.

I don't know about region 4... Maybe check YouTube? I'm in region 6 and I have seen tanks in Bronze /silver and 3/4 or long sleeves in gold+

I'm in Region 4...most Silver and higher wore 3/4 or long sleeves. Just a few gyms have tank leos so definitely the exception (though the leading gym in our state wore tank leos). DD's gym didn't compete Bronze so I have no insight there.

We're region 6 and all levels had long sleeve. I feel like pretty much every gym did. Good luck!

My Xcel team has long sleeved leos. (All levels.) I have seen some very cute 3/4 from other teams at meets before, only a couple with tank leotards.

Not region 4, but our highly competitive Xcel teams - Bronze through Platinum (will have a Diamond this year) - all wear tanks. Quite sparkly tanks.

All of our area teams wear long sleeves or 3/4 sleeves.

Since we are in a cold climate and meets are in the winter, it makes sense ;)

Our Silvers, who compete fewer meets than Gold and up, have tanks. Everyone else has 3/4 sleeves. When you say short-sleeved, do you mean tank-style, or actual short sleeves? I'm not sure that I've ever seen a short-sleeved gymnastics leo. Dance, yes. Gym, no. But yeah, if you can find some region 4 (or even more specifically from your state) YouTube videos, especially of march-in, that may give you a better idea of what you can expect to see.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back