Parents Xcel Diamond petition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xcelmomsilver

Proud Parent
Hi My DD is 12 and xcel silver and she dreams of doing NCAA. She has this map, she wants to compete gold then platinum then in high school petition unto level 7 in 10th grade. Will this work? Can can be a collge gymnast accpeted at level 9. And before she turns 14 (that summer between gold and platinum) can she petition and then compete level 7 in 9th grade? Lastly with collge gymnasts how do you even get on the team? LOL. I really appretiate any respomse.

For Division I and II schools, gymnasts usually need to be multi-year L10's by their freshman/sophomore year, with 10.0 start values, from what I've gathered on here. Division III could possibly have room for a L9. Club gymnastics is always an option though. The reality is that no one has a crystal ball. If your DD has a plan, goal, even if it's farfetched, stay supportive.

B
For Division I and II schools, gymnasts usually need to be multi-year L10's by their freshman/sophomore year, with 10.0 start values, from what I've gathered on here. Division III could possibly have room for a L9. Club gymnastics is always an option though. The reality is that no one has a crystal ball. If your DD has a plan, goal, even if it's farfetched, stay supportive.
But could she petition unto level 7 the summer she starts high school?? She would be xcel platinum

Does her gym have history with sending anyone to college? Or at least to Level 10 Nationals? She'll definitely need to be training somewhere that is both willing AND able to do this if there's even a remote chance.

I would go ahead and have the discussion about her goals with the gym. If they are willing to try and make this work for her there could be ways to speed up progression so that she can get into optionals sooner.

In my opinion, there could be a better plan that could include scoring out of compulsory levels versus waiting to petition at 14.

She may be able to petition once ready for 7, but if not, she could always just score out of L4 and L5 - which should be easy to do in the same day/weekend if she has L7 skills - and be able to do L7.

That said, if your daughter really wants college gym, you need to get her into a program that understands your goals and, like others have said, has a track record of sending kids to college gym or L10's to nationals. Is there a JO program at your current gym? I'd say you want to be a L9 by freshman year if you want any legit shot a college gym - and as others have said above, even that is a long shot.

Our gym had a girl go D1 last year who was a first year level 10 her senior year. She said there were a lot of options for "late birds". Maybe with such young/early verbal commits these days some just don't work out.

Hi My DD is 12 and xcel silver and she dreams of doing NCAA. She has this map, she wants to compete gold then platinum then in high school petition unto level 7 in 10th grade. Will this work? Can be a college gymnast accepted at level 9. And before she turns 14 (that summer between gold and platinum) can she petition and then compete level 7 in 9th grade? Lastly with college gymnasts how do you even get on the team? LOL. I really appreciate any response.

OP - To put it bluntly, on the path you have put forward her chances of being noticed by a college team are very small. Let me answer your last question first - you get on a college team only by invitation. Whether the athlete is recruited for a scholarship spot or recruited for a walk-on spot, they are both recruited. While the name says "walk-on", no athlete can just "walk onto" a college gymnastics team. I encourage you to explore the information at the following link: https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/

So, the real problem in your dd's situation is that she needs to get on the JO track as soon as possible so that she can spend as long as possible at the upper optional levels. The reality is that college coaches just don't take into account Xcel experience and she needs to be a solid Lvl 10 in her early high school years when the actual recruiting takes place. She also needs to be at a club that has the right kind of coaches that can get her there. It does no good if the club she is at has never had a Lvl 10 gymnast; they need to be able to get her to the level with 10.0 start values on each event.

Good Luck.

Does her gym have history with sending anyone to college? Or at least to Level 10 Nationals? She'll definitely need to be training somewhere that is both willing AND able to do this if there's even a remote chance.

I would go ahead and have the discussion about her goals with the gym. If they are willing to try and make this work for her there could be ways to speed up progression so that she can get into optionals sooner.

In my opinion, there could be a better plan that could include scoring out of compulsory levels versus waiting to petition at 14.
Our gym has sent lots of girls off to college gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back