Parents Xcel to ncaa

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
I didn’t previously think it was actually possible, but today I happened across a girl going to NCAA (div III, but still) from Xcel Diamond. She went from L8 to diamond in her senior year. I just thought it showed that you can have an alternative path to the “must be L10 by 9th grade” to compete in the NCAA. I know it’s not the norm, and wouldn’t be anything to brag about to some people, but I think it’s cool!

I knew it was only a matter of time. Also figured it would be D3 ... unless the girl had been a L10 before Xcel, then was thinking MAYBE D2, lol.
Though in my quick poking (rosters of two D3 schools) prompted by a post elsewhere, I did find a few L8s and at least one YMCA gymnast. I guess div III is a lot more accessible than I previously thought, for girls who really want that.

Wow, that's pretty cool! I'm entirely ignorant about the process of getting onto any college team. I'm aware (because of CB!) that it's usually only the multi-year level 10s who have a chance for scholarships, but I assumed even for division III schools girls had to be levels 10s to have the chance to compete in college.

Though in my quick poking (rosters of two D3 schools) prompted by a post elsewhere, I did find a few L8s and at least one YMCA gymnast. I guess div III is a lot more accessible than I previously thought, for girls who really want that.
Several years back, one of the teams we compete against had a girl competing D3 ... She had done 3 meets at L9 but spent most of senior year as an L8.

I know of one - decent L8 season followed by a catastrophic elbow injury with complications (major infection, among others). She attempted to come back as a L9 on beam and floor with minimal elbow stress but couldn't and moved to Xcel. She competes/competed (can't remember!) D3, primarily on beam, very successfully. IIRC, she can do a few BHS per week but her elbow can't handle much stress and she prioritizing being able to use her arm as an adult over pushing herself to get back to vault and bars to get a qualifying score for L10.

Very cool that there are alternative paths to college gymnastics!

Excuse my ignorance, but do D2 and D3 schools give their athletes scholarships also?

I believe (and someone will correct me if I’m wrong) that DII has some scholarship money, but not full scholarships, while DIII has no scholarships.

You are correct - D2 has half scholarships at best and D3 has no athletic scholarships. Another note - there are but a handful of D2 college gymnastics programs and just over a dozen D3 programs. All are smaller schools, hence the D2 or 3.

You are correct - D2 has half scholarships at best and D3 has no athletic scholarships. Another note - there are but a handful of D2 college gymnastics programs and just over a dozen D3 programs. All are smaller schools, hence the D2 or 3.

After reading this thread I looked it up and was surprised by how few DII and DIII programs are out there.

D3 schools typically find academic money for their athletes. My nephew is doing D3 tennis with a decent academic ride. Also know an athlete got an academic ride to Harvard for D3 athletics.

If my daughter were to do college athletics it would be D3.

D3 schools typically find academic money for their athletes. My nephew is doing D3 tennis with a decent academic ride. Also know an athlete got an academic ride to Harvard for D3 athletics.

If my daughter were to do college athletics it would be D3.
Harvard doesn’t, under any circumstances, give academic merit aid. The Ivies give need-based aid only.

Well the kid got money. They found money
He must have had financials below a certain number, which means he would’ve gotten the same amount whether he was an athlete or not.

FINANCIAL AID CRITERIA
Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/information-psa-index.aspx

After reading this thread I looked it up and was surprised by how few DII and DIII programs are out there.

Yep. There are very few DII schools and some of those are more competitive than the lower ranked DI schools. I haven't seen any girls below L10 get on a DII school team in the past couple of years. Nearly all the DIII schools are in the Northeast and Wisconsin & MN. Also, some of the DIII schools have well over 20 girls on their rosters, so just because you are on the team does not guarantee you actually get to compete.
College club gymnastics can be an option though to continue enjoying the sport of gymnastics.

High School gymnasts from MN and WI have also made it into Dlll however there level of high school gym is that of level 9-10. But it does not only have to happen at the Club or JO level
I honestly hadn’t realized that high school typically competed routines of those levels. Learn something new everyday!

I honestly hadn’t realized that high school typically competed routines of those levels. Learn something new everyday!
The rules require that of at least an 8 to pull off a 10.0 start value typically. So yep! But not many states have that level in High School. Minnesota has a huge program so they do. But the majority of high school gymnasts would not be at that level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back