Parents Xcel to Skip a JO Skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Reesie'sWorld

Proud Parent
Good day,

My daughter just completed Level 4 and is ready for Level 5 except for her kip cast hands. Her Coach says getting her to get to 45 degrees would be a nightmare. Coach wants to move her to Xcel Gold in order to avoid this skill and begin training kip straddle handstand in order to do Level 6 next year. I have my reservations about this. Should I firmly request level 5 or simply trust her coaches judgement?

Sounds like her coach has strong plans on what would be best for your daughter in the long term and now. What are your reservations about her doing XCel Gold? Would it mean a different training group/hours/coach?

It sounds like a decent plan. She would still need to score out of 5, but after a year of gold, it shouldn't be too hard.

As a parent I’m not sure I’d be thrilled with moving levels to avoid a single skill in one event. It’s not uncommon for a gymnast to struggle with one skill, it seems over zealous to change their entire level because of it.
Does this effect her training group, hours or coaches?

As a parent I’m not sure I’d be thrilled with moving levels to avoid a single skill in one event. It’s not uncommon for a gymnast to struggle with one skill, it seems over zealous to change their entire level because of it.
Does this effect her training group, hours or coaches?

I agree. I'd much rather see her master the skill, than skip the level just to avoid it- seems extreme. I've often heard people say how important L5 is moving forward.

Why not just let her compete L5 bars and take the deductions? If she is set in the other skills/events, I don't see the purpose here. Also, if she is just going to 6 next year, why not test out of 5 this year and do L6? I am not against xcel (my daughter did it in the lower levels) but this doesn't really seem like an good reason. Now, if she is missing other skills in other events, and really needs another year to solidify the skills, she could repeat 4 or move to xcel, but just for one skill (granted a very important skill for future bars)?

I would agree with having her compete 5 and just not score as well. If her only issue is her casts not getting to 45 degrees, it's not a huge deal in my opinion.

6 of one half a dozen of the other.

She can’t avoid casting. To move on she going to need to get to HS at some point.

My bigger concern is a coach who thinks her getting the skill, to 45 degrees would be a nightmare. Hmmmm I would think the coach would be able to use drills and conditioning, you know actually coach. But what do I know.

And JMO personally ignorant parent (truly) position L5 is a useful level to help develop bars in my personal experience. So I’d be interested to know what’s the plan to develop hers bars yet miraculously avoid the nightmare of a very much necessary cast

6 of one half a dozen of the other.

She can’t avoid casting. To move on she going to need to get to HS at some point.

My bigger concern is a coach who thinks her getting the skill, to 45 degrees would be a nightmare. Hmmmm I would think the coach would be able to use drills and conditioning, you know actually coach. But what do I know.

And JMO personally ignorant parent (truly) position L5 is a useful level to help develop bars in my personal experience. So I’d be interested to know what’s the plan to develop hers bars yet miraculously avoid the nightmare of a very much necessary cast

I personally am a fan of level 5 too. But I am pretty sure that it's the straight body cast to 45 degrees that she is trying to avoid. The OP said they wanted to start training level 6 and the straddle cast handstand. Unless you are training hopes/elite, I am pretty sure you do not have to do a straight body cast handstand in any level. So I think the point is the coach wants to start teaching the straddle cast handstand rather than spend more time teaching a straight body cast. But I do agree that the level 5 cast doesn't seem like it should be a nightmare to teach.. Is that really the only level 5 skill she has an issue with? I know there is a deduction for not reaching the required angle, but it doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal.

I personally am a fan of level 5 too. But I am pretty sure that it's the straight body cast to 45 degrees that she is trying to avoid. The OP said they wanted to start training level 6 and the straddle cast handstand. Unless you are training hopes/elite, I am pretty sure you do not have to do a straight body cast handstand in any level. So I think the point is the coach wants to start teaching the straddle cast handstand rather than spend more time teaching a straight body cast. But I do agree that the level 5 cast doesn't seem like it should be a nightmare to teach.. Is that really the only level 5 skill she has an issue with? I know there is a deduction for not reaching the required angle, but it doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal.
Yes. The coach said my daughter has all of her level 5 skills except the cast to 45 degrees.

I’m not sure why the coach believes that your DD is best served by moving to Xcel for a year. She has other options in JO (score out of 5 or compete with deductions). I’m just not sure what is gained by moving to Xcel.

Does the coach want your DD to place better at meets? Does your gym have lots of girls on the podium at meets? Is there a history of moving girls to Xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back