Xcel vs. USAIGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2G&D

Proud Parent
We are in New York State, and my DD's gym recently switched from the JO program to the USAIGC program. I'm told that the USAIGC program is not the Xcel program. However, I'm still confused. Can anywone explain the difference between the two programs - USAIGC and Xcel? Are they both USAG programs?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

USAIGC is not part of USAG. We used to do both at our old gym. The levels are Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Premier. My DD's were level 4-5 in while in Bronze, 6-7 in Silver and oldest did Gold when she was level 8. As I recall, there are no hard and fast rules regarding level placement going from USAG to USAIGC. All levels compete optional routines. For us it was a "fun" program, kids enjoyed having their own routines. In NJ our States were held in Wildwood every year, it was all about the beach :D

I don't know much about it so I went to heir website. They state their goal is to prepare girls for college gymnastics. I wonder how successful it is. I briefly looked through their gold and platinum levels - looks very thorough and well thought program. Wonder how the hours compare as it noted that they stress lower hours in favor of longevity. Also wonder how popular it is throughout the US - whether there are regional pockets. We are in NC and I don't recall hearing much about it but it could be b/c I haven't been tuned into it.

Around here there is only one gym that does USAIGC and it's their "ugly stepsister" program to their JO program. Their lobby is covered in pictures of their JO girls and then there's this one little bulletin board in a dark corner with cobwebs hanging off it with a picture of their USAIGC team (OK, not quite, but close). I'm sure that, like anything else, it really depends on how it is run. If my DD was interested in doing college gym, I don't think I'd go the USAIGC route, even if that's their goal stated on their website, just because I don't think it's as well-known of a program.

Wonder how the hours compare as it noted that they stress lower hours in favor of longevity. .

From our experience, the gyms that had separate USAIGC teams trained fewer hours (6-8). The girls who did both USAG and USAIGC were definitely at an advantage as far as training. The teams/kids that fared well at USAIGC were usually the ones who were in both programs.

our gym does it in addition to USAG JO program. They usually ask 2nd year L4s or L5s if they want to do USAIGC. The meets are at the same time of year as USAG meets, so that is the draw back for many. They are much more laid back in terms of scoring, at least around here. At our gym, the families that do it generally do it just to go to nationals, which are held alternate years in Florida and California. Anyone who competes USAIGC can go to nationals. It is not used as a way to "prepare for college" here. It's run similarly to prep op/xcel here (less rigorous that JO).

I don't know much about it so I went to heir website. They state their goal is to prepare girls for college gymnastics. I wonder how successful it is. I briefly looked through their gold and platinum levels - looks very thorough and well thought program. Wonder how the hours compare as it noted that they stress lower hours in favor of longevity. Also wonder how popular it is throughout the US - whether there are regional pockets. We are in NC and I don't recall hearing much about it but it could be b/c I haven't been tuned into it.
That might be their goal, but it's definitely not reality. There are some good kids who compete USAIGC, but most of the best are competing USAG in addition and doing USAIGC for the mere perk of competing at "Nationals" which is just like any other invitational meet, at some nice beach location. The hours are less, judging is MUCH easier, requirements are much less stringent, and quality of gymnastics is just generally not as good. The kids who solely do USAIGC, even at the upper levels, are most likely not going to be noticed by college coaches unless they are also competing USAG. Most gyms use it as their "lesser" program for kids that don't want to put in the hours or are passionate about the sport but not quite ready for the USAG team.
I know of one gym that uses USAIGC only and they have some decent gymnasts, but they don't get attention from colleges and really can't compare to the kids at neighboring gyms competing in the USAG program.
It is similar to XCel in that all routines are optional, but unlike XCel, there aren't concessions for moving back onto the USAG stream since they are two separate organizations. So whether or not it's the right program for your DD depends on what you are looking for. If you are in search of a team program with fewer hours, the opportunity to do individualized routines, compete with less pressure, and enjoy gymnastics at a less intense level, USAIGC can be great. If you are looking for a more intensive program with longer term plans, USAIGC is probably not the best option.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back