Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

berrisweetness

Coach
Proud Parent
Does anyone know about xcel routines. Is it easier to have each level to do the same routines or just get them all their own routines, in this case 13 routines.

What level of xcel? I would say that most gyms have everyone at bronze have the same routine (or maybe 2 routines if they have a huge program, say one for younger girls, one for older). At silver some gyms have all do same and some have individual routines, and most gold, platinum and diamond gymnasts have individual routines.

Bronze, silver and if they get kip a few will be gold. My daughter coaches xcel and she was told by one of the owners to come up with all different routines. She thought it was a bit much.

If I had 13 girls at bronze, silver and gold, I would have one routine for all the bronze and then let the silver and gold have their own routines. BUT if she has to do all individual routines, remember there is no time minimum. So the bronze routines can be 30 seconds.

There is no undertime. As long as all the elements are included, a bronze can be 30 seconds. The Max time for Bronze floor is 45 seconds.
Silver and Gold both have Max time of 1:00.

Why is the gym requiring a kip for Gold? It is not a requirement. In fact, the old L4 Glide & Return, Pullover counts as 2 of the 6 required skills.

Of course, if I had my way, gymnasts would not compete Silver because I hate the required vault.

Depending on the ages of the gymnasts, they might be able to help choreograph their own routines. We have 18 Optionals this year (9 Gold, 2 Platinum, 4 L6, and 3 L7). They all helped with their choreography.

With just a few in each division, I would set up a "format" for the routines... then see what each girl can do skillwise and insert the appropriate skills into the format. For Bronze, pick 1-2 different musics that would work with the format. For silver and Gold, either let the gymnasts choose from a select group or have just 5-6 choices.

Format Idea (Bronze): Select Starting position (not in corner, but near it). Dance-y moves to corner. 1/2 turn. First tumbling pass (2 connected skills - with or without flight... on the diagonal). Side dance / leap pass. Go to the floor. Do something cutesy. Get up and dance to corner. Last tumbling pass on the diagonal (can be a single tumbling skill). Ending pose.
(Silver): Select Starting position (not in corner, but near it). Dance-y moves to corner. 1/2 turn. First tumbling pass (2 connected skills - one must have flight... on the diagonal). Side dance / leap pass. Full turn. Go to the floor. Do something cutesy. Get up and dance to corner. Last tumbling pass on the diagonal (can be a single flight acro skill or 2 connected acro skills with or w/o flight). Ending dance and pose.

The girls on my dd have their own routine. 4 golds and 4 silvers. For my dd, having her own routine was the selling point on xcel. 13 girls is a lot though.

There is no undertime. As long as all the elements are included, a bronze can be 30 seconds. The Max time for Bronze floor is 45 seconds.
Silver and Gold both have Max time of 1:00.

Why is the gym requiring a kip for Gold? It is not a requirement. In fact, the old L4 Glide & Return, Pullover counts as 2 of the 6 required skills.

Of course, if I had my way, gymnasts would not compete Silver because I hate the required vault.

Depending on the ages of the gymnasts, they might be able to help choreograph their own routines. We have 18 Optionals this year (9 Gold, 2 Platinum, 4 L6, and 3 L7). They all helped with their choreography.

With just a few in each division, I would set up a "format" for the routines... then see what each girl can do skillwise and insert the appropriate skills into the format. For Bronze, pick 1-2 different musics that would work with the format. For silver and Gold, either let the gymnasts choose from a select group or have just 5-6 choices.

Format Idea (Bronze): Select Starting position (not in corner, but near it). Dance-y moves to corner. 1/2 turn. First tumbling pass (2 connected skills - with or without flight... on the diagonal). Side dance / leap pass. Go to the floor. Do something cutesy. Get up and dance to corner. Last tumbling pass on the diagonal (can be a single tumbling skill). Ending pose.
(Silver): Select Starting position (not in corner, but near it). Dance-y moves to corner. 1/2 turn. First tumbling pass (2 connected skills - one must have flight... on the diagonal). Side dance / leap pass. Full turn. Go to the floor. Do something cutesy. Get up and dance to corner. Last tumbling pass on the diagonal (can be a single flight acro skill or 2 connected acro skills with or w/o flight). Ending dance and pose.

Thank you Raenndrops we have since re evaluated the girls and decided on 6 bronze and 6 silver. That was the ideas I was looking for.
All other ideas are welcome as well. I still have time our first meet won't be until late January and the girls are older so it should be fun to see what we come up with. I have already started on the first half of both levels.

When girls get an individual routine, they generally have a private lesson and pay for the choreography. That can be any where from $50 to $300 depending on who does it, and how long the routine is.

My daughter's gym is all XCEL and Optional levels 6+. This season, there are about 20 bronze, 11 silver, and 4 gold. Bronze fx routines are 40 secs and silver/gold are 50 secs. Each of the girls have their own routines. The coaches did a great job and the girls love it! :)

Sorry....to answer your question, I'm sure it's easier to have all the girls do the same routine, that is only 1 routine your coming up with, but it's also a lot of fun for the girls to have their own routine and have input on some dance moves they can add to it. Last season I saw gyms that all had the same routine and some gyms that had a different routine for each girl. Have fun with either route you go with!

Thanks it is a work in progress.i only thought about it because I will be the only one doing the routines and it just seemed easier.

Our HC and I make sure they have the required skills in their routines... of course the girls all pick their own music and make up their own routines.

Coach gives each girl a binder and a notebook. The binder has all of her requirements on each event. The girls use the notebook to write down how they will meet the requirements (skills to use)... then they create the actual routines with all the filler fluff (for floor).

The older girls tend to help the younger ones... at this very moment, OG is helping YG figure out her floor routine. They are so cute together~~ especially since a couple months ago, OG was COMPLETELY against her lil sis competing Xcel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back