YAY!!! I GOT IT!!!! but now i need help on Back roll to front support

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok well last night I got my round off flic sault and i have recently got my BWO on beam and now i can do all my level 5 skills with the exception of bars and backward roll to front support. If i compete level 5 i will not be competing bars as the stream i am in allows that flexibility. So the only skill i now need is Backward roll to front support and thats where i fail. So i use this backwards hurdle at the moment and can get over my head it just looks ugly oh and one of my forearms is on the ground so overall its horrible any general tips for getting over to front support? and making this skill any easier?

I'm not really sure what skill you are talking about or where you are, so I can't look up routines to figure out what you're describing... At first I thought you were talking about a skill on bars, but after re-reading maybe you are talking about a backward roll to push-up position?

I am having this exact problem too with my backward roll to frotn support and yes this is on floor and we live in Australia but i doubt you would be able to find a video of it due to their being like a total of 3 on youtube of Australian gymnasts under elite level :/

I am having this exact problem too with my backward roll to frotn support and yes this is on floor and we live in Australia but i doubt you would be able to find a video of it due to their being like a total of 3 on youtube of Australian gymnasts under elite level :/

Is it the same move that is in the USAG level 4 floor routine after the prance, prance, weight transfer? The backward roll into the pushup position?

Is it the same move that is in the USAG level 4 floor routine after the prance, prance, weight transfer? The backward roll into the pushup position?
It sounds to me like that's what it is.
Hard to tell what advice might help without seeing the skill, but I'll take a stab at it based on what is common among some of my girls.
Stay tight! Arms, legs, tummy- a piece of cooked spaghetti makes for an awful gymnast ;)
As you roll back, think about "smacking" your pinky fingers into the floor first.
Keep your arms glued to your ears from the start.
Make sure you aren't slowing yourself down as you roll back. Some do this by reaching backwards towards the floor before lifting their arms again or just killing any momentum they had going.

Not sure if any of that will help with your specific situation, but it works for my girls sometimes.

Like coachmolly said, the key is to stay tight. Keep your arms tight!
If you have a wedge mat, practice down those. If you have a panel mat, fold it up and do it off of those long ways.
Also, make sure you have power, it's not like just doing a backward roll. You have to have power! I tend to go on my tip toes and then roll backwards pushing off of my feet as hard as I can. This will help for a back extension roll as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back