Parents Yeah for DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

I hesitate to write this because I know how much parental involvement seems to be a hot topic on this board, but I'm just being honest so I'll go ahead because I was excited and it was funny too. I'll change my name to crazy-over-involved-cares-too-much-mom if ya'll like.

DD's Level 4 bar dismount has been quite piked. Her dad is in town so I asked him to help her on it because he's cheaper than a private (aka free). Don't worry, he's a coach and we were at a gym, not a tree branch in the backyard. So he was working on it with her and doing drills and changing to another when that didn't work. He tried having her land on her back on a mat and then landing on her feet and then going over something. She was still piking and throwing her head back. Basically nothing he was doing was helping so they moved on to kips. As they were finishing up I asked him to try one more time on the dismount. I had been thinking while they were working on kips and I told him he needed to show her slowly step by step to pull her hips to the bar not her feet. I told him I didn't think she wasn't getting that part because he was saying it and he needed to show her in slowmo. He wasn't too happy with my suggestion because he had already told her a zillion times, but he did it really slow to make me happy a couple of times. Then on her very first try she did it! I did have to gloat a little bit that he had tried so many things and it was my suggestion that helped. I'm sure the earlier work he did probably helped some too, but I wanted full credit.:p I told him, "That's okay honey you are used to teaching double layouts off bars, not underswings." Then DD said, "Yea Dad, I guess you don't know very much about Level 4.":D

The best part was DD screaming and jumping up and down. Then she did a few more to make sure it wasn't an accident. She's flying so much further that she's sitting it down, but she didn't care.

I definitely do not think this belongs in the "crazy gym mom" category at all!!! Congrats to your DD. Kids (and adults too) all learn differently. I know my own DD catches on much more quickly if she is spotted on what to do as opposed to be talked through it. This is a huge accomplishment for your DD... Big congrats go out to her! (Esp. loved the part that dad doesn't know much about L4!)

A coach helping at a gym with a skill is not crazy--even if it's her dad! Congrats to her on getting the skill better!

That's awesome - sounds like DD is naturally talented - and lucky to have a source of free private lessons ;) . Good job to DD!

Oh I'm all for parental involvement - just not parental takeover;) (If you know what I mean)
And using your resources wisely is good too...

Some girls really do need to slow things down and feel them step by step. My dd is one of those - wish we had figured that out at L4. Oh well. Eventually she landed at the right gym for her style (well,most of the time:rolleyes:)

Congrats to your dd

I LOVE what she said to him! bwahahahahahaaaaa

We both get a good laugh from her. One time he was spotting her on a ROBHS and she stopped and told him something like he was doing it wrong. She wanted him on the other side I think because that's what she was used to. He was laughing so hard because he explained to me that when he gets new gymnasts they'll sometimes be divas about wanting to be spotted a certain way. These are elite gymnasts though, not 5 year olds. He was like oh dear she's already a little diva.

my girls would be jelous! LOL

WTG to your dd! I love when things Work out good!!!

It's one of those things that's not as impressive as like the day they did their first ROBHS, but it was just a skill that didn't look very good and I didn't think she was going to be fixing it anytime soon so it was really exciting to me after watching her do it sloppy for so long. I knew CB people would understand.

People do have different learning styles, some people are more visual, others are aural and others are kinesthetic. If someone is not an aural learner, then telling them how to do things isn't very effective. Glad your coach was willing to try it your way!

My DD is learning underswing currently too, she hasn't really got it yet, she doesn't let go of the bar in time.

I would never think you are a crazy mom for posting that! That's awesome that she got it on YOUR suggestion though! I love it! :D

That's not crazy at all that's using your resources to support your daughter. WTG to your DD!! And If I had a gym coach in the famiily and my DD want to get extra practice to fixes things I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Now if you did the tree limb thing that would be a different story LOL

People do have different learning styles, some people are more visual, others are aural and others are kinesthetic. If someone is not an aural learner, then telling them how to do things isn't very effective. Glad your coach was willing to try it your way!

My DD is learning underswing currently too, she hasn't really got it yet, she doesn't let go of the bar in time.

What happens when she doesn't let go of the bar in time? DD hasn't ever really had a lot of problem doing the skill, it was just pikey which I knew was a deduction. Her old gym actually taught it like that. I really didn't even know what the dismount looked like until we went to the first Level 4 competition and it was like wow why does all the other teams have a different looking dismount? I hope your DD gets it soon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back