Yelling coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

COz

Proud Parent
In another thread there is a lot of talk about coaching styles and in particular yelling at the kids in a somewhat negative fashion rather than either yelling to be heard or yelling if there is a safety issue that needs to be quickly addressed. People in the past have also commented about negative coaching techniques, designed to fire up the children to prove the coach wrong.

The gyms that I have had experience with have never had any coaches that have yelled in the way described (mostly by US people). I've spoken to other people with kids at gyms that I haven't been to and they also haven't seen this kind of yelling.

Is this a cultural thing?
Have any Aussies seen this kind of behaviour in their gym?

My child's has been at two gyms. At both gyms the head optional coach (male) insult and yell. Just can't seem to escape this behavior.

We're in a gym in the US & the coaches don't yell or say negative things at all. It's a very positive gym. I really don't think it's cultural. I believe that when coaches get away with ad behavior once or if it even once they see the results they wanted, they'll keep doing it.

The coach my dd mostly relates to will ask her why she thinks something wasn't done quite right and my dd will answer and then she will ask her how she thinks she could make it better. Once she answers, she has her do it. I really think that's why my dd has such great body awareness for 7 because this coach has always had her think it through instead of yelling corrections at her. Yelling doesn't equal positive results with most kids and I think good gymnasts are harder on themselves anyway, so yelling just makes them beat themselves up more.

Sorry, I posted this in the Australia/NZ forum to hear from others in these countries.

I'm sure there are plenty of gyms both with and without this behaviour in the US. I'd just like to hear if people have experienced this kind of thing in Australia in particular.

Not an aussie, but I have seen (and experienced) coaches yelling and being negative in the UK too...

Reactions: COz
We have been at 3 gyms now....while we have had other coaching issues, yelling and berating hasn't been one of them. I am very grateful for that! All of my daughter's coaches have been kind (they have represented 3 different ethnicities actually, but I just realized this was the Aussie forum).

Never experienced it at DD's gym, or at either of the previous gyms she was at in WA (though she was only in a baby class, the older kids were there are the same time, and it was always positive).

We are in Victoria, Australia. My daughter trains International Stream Gymnastics.
She has come home many nights and told me of comments made during training by her coach that have concerned me. Comments including- 'if you can't ______ you can just leave right now' etc…
It makes me furious to think that my child is being spoken to like this. I totally understand that this is the 'world of gymnastics' BUT, belittling children and speaking down to them will only ever do bad, not good!
I have a talented gymnast daughter who tries hard and these sort of negative comment worry me in terms of burn out and enthusiasm for the sport!!

Hello, we live in Queensland. This is my first time posting to a forum, so I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts....

Some of the other mums at our gym and I have noticed that my daughter's coach can get very angry with a few of the girls who do not make corrections after being told a couple of times. This has really only been happening in the last year or so as the girls have been learning more difficult skills. There have been a few tears, but the girls say it's nothing and trot off the next day to have another go.

I feel it's important to focus on the overall quality of the relationship. The coach spends so much time with my daughter they are effectively a third parent in her life, and there are times that we raise our voice with her too, although not as many now that she spends so much time at gym!

Thanks!

Belittling children is not on and completely unnecessary. However, I believe that yelling is merely a coaching style. Some coaches do and some don't. At the end of the day it is the relationship between your child and their coach that is important (bearing in mind that they will not always love the coach they have). I think as long as the coach is kind and fair, then there is no problem. IL stream is pretty full on and I would expect that the coaches would be tough and they would expect the kids to be tough as well.

Just for clarification, I meant negative coaching, not just yelling. Although our coaches aren't very loud anyway. The 'yelling' was a reference to the other thread.

While my gym is in the US, I think I can provide some insight. Our three coaches for the more competitive program are extremely tough. They are constantly yelling and I wouldn't be afraid to say they make at least one girl cry a day. HOWEVER, the results are amazing. All of the girls have perfect form and always do amazing at their meets. This past weekend we won first place team for every level we put out and won aa for every age group. So while I do think yelling can be a bit harsh, it can have very good results. I think there is a very fine line.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back