Coaches YES or NO...Aussie string tramp during open gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Australian string bed during open gym at rec. club?

• YES

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • NO

• For students enrolled in classes only

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • For high level students only

• Total voters

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
We are having a misunderstanding at out gym right now. We are a fully recreational 17,000 sq. ft. gym. We have 2 trampolines....both are 7x14. One is a black poly bed and the other is a Aussie string bed. Many of our open gym students don't even take classes to the gym as open gym is open to the public. Should the Australian string bed be open to everyone? Yes or No...why?

It depends; do they have to sign waivers before participating in open gym?

(one would hope so)

Assuming they do sign waivers beforehand, I think there could be some advantages to allowing people on the aussie; namely, it's fun. Lots of fun. Enough fun to make anybody want to sign up for classes at your gym.

However, it would need to be closely supervised, and there should be strict rules as to what is allowable from people not enrolled in classes.

EDIT: actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a good idea to restrict it to students currently enrolled at your gym.

Last edited:
aussie bed

I feel the aussie beds are fine for everyone to use, if there are rules set up to follow. We have 2 aussie beds at my gym. During open gym, we do not allow kids to flip on the tramps. (unless it is someone who attends are gym, at a level high enough to do them) Supervision is also a must. We haven't had any tramp related injuries thus far. Knock on wood... tap tap

Just my opinion.

the tramp

I go to your gym...so I know exactly what tramp you are talking about and what it is like at Open Gym! I think you should let the higher level people go on it for the whole gym as long as one of the coaches are over there. I think maybe for like 15 minutes during Open Gym anyone can go on it while a coach is supervising but they can't flip. If you did the higher level thing I wouldn't mind because I could go on it even though I don't like to!! LOL!!

-Rae Rae

I agree that they are safe with the proper supervision. The problem is providing that supervision. Our average open gym is around 50 kids. Around 40% of our open gym participants don't take classes at all.

If I put a 18 or 19 year old coach on open gym to supervise my horde of 15 year old boys, who do you think is going to get their way.:eek:

Okay, this thread has been making me curious for weeks now. I have been around gym for years, I have never heard of an aussie string tramp, which I assume translates to Australian String Trampoline. Please enlighten me, I also assume that we have one and call it something else.:D

Okay, this thread has been making me curious for weeks now. I have been around gym for years, I have never heard of an aussie string tramp, which I assume translates to Australian String Trampoline. Please enlighten me, I also assume that we have one and call it something else.:D

Here is a quote from one website:
Offering the greatest bounce for the performer. The string used is made of hand woven double terlyne and is rubberized to offer extended life and protection from external elements, indoors or out. This mat includes extra nylon reinforced safety edging and conforms to F.I.T. World specifications.

An Australian Tramp is the most powerful and most difficult to control of all trampolines. When compared to a black poly bed, a gymnasts will be able to bounce about 3 times as high on a aussie bed. They are similar to a eurotramp with less control.

The bed is woven out of string, this allows air to pass straight through the bed like a tennis racket. I have included a picture of the exact tramp we have.

There is a sticker on it that says "Made in Australia".

Here is a Eurotramp video (very similar in height of bounce as aussie tramp)

[youtube]qqdPSMsdZAM[/youtube]

Here is what I am trying to avoid (this is not at my club):

[youtube]5JL2KOpCBP4[/youtube]

Attachments

• aussie-tramp.jpg
    aussie-tramp.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Okay, thanks. We do not have one in our gym, our ceiling would never accomodate that! I can now see why you ask about safety. :eek: Our club is girls only and does not do trampolining. Phew!!!

Hi! I love this discussion about trampolines. I was interested to read that you feel the Aussie bed is harder to control than a Eurotramp. Are all string bed trampolines considered harder to control than a Eurotramp (web bed, right?). I'm just really curious about this topic. I've been using string bed trampolines for a really long time (I have very limited exposure to a web bed) so I'm just really interested. Are Aussie beds considered more powerful than other brands of string beds (like my favorite bed by Dave Ross).

About the open gym, I personally would not let non-students use the Aussie bed trampoline. It's too tempting for people to start goofing off and flying off the trampoline - just my opinion though.

Hi! I love this discussion about trampolines. I was interested to read that you feel the Aussie bed is harder to control than a Eurotramp. Are all string bed trampolines considered harder to control than a Eurotramp (web bed, right?). I'm just really curious about this topic. I've been using string bed trampolines for a really long time (I have very limited exposure to a web bed) so I'm just really interested. Are Aussie beds considered more powerful than other brands of string beds (like my favorite bed by Dave Ross).

About the open gym, I personally would not let non-students use the Aussie bed trampoline. It's too tempting for people to start goofing off and flying off the trampoline - just my opinion though.

I have no experience on a Ross bed. I would guess that most string beds are similar. The Ross bed is more expensive than the aussie bed. Dave Ross (reboundproducts.com) has a great reputation...I'm sure all of his equipment is top notch.

Last edited:
We have the yellow and red tramp at our gym and we always have a coach right there when anyone is using it. The optionals are allowed to use it with someone watching from a distance and everyone knows the rules. In open gym, there is a coach stationed there, that tends to be the most used piece of equipment. It is so much fun but you have to watch 'cause people like to break the rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back