Off Topic "You should be grateful you have your job in these times"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Someone who's not my boss but above me at work said that to a bunch of coaches in conversation recently. It made me unexpectedly angry. I say that to myself, and take it as truth when friends/family say it to me, but hearing it from that person seemed just wrong. I responded "Hopefully as grateful as the gym is that I keep my certs updated and go to clinics."

Is that crazy? Does it seem overbearing and ominous to hear that from someone in a position of authority or is that me? It almost seemed downright rude. People who work hard deserve their job, to flourish and succeed should be expected. You don't create a compelling life for yourself or your family by hearing things that suggest you do what you do out of fear. Honestly hearing that made me feel a little dirty and disgusted.

It's condescending, sure. Although I will admit, demand for coaches here is very high and I do feel grateful. We haven't seen any downturn in our enrollment, on the contrary it's actually increasing.

I can see how that can be a little bit rude. But I can understand how he can say that. My dad works at a Ford dealership and we've seen many people get laid off, etc. and I hope he keeps his job. When one position at their work opened up, we saw atleast 200 people apply. I see a ton of people who work hard at my dad's work, we know each other personally and it's hard to see my dad have to lay people off knowing that when I got to visit work the person I used to go to candy for, or the person I used to go bug, won't be there anymore. I know they work hard, but in times like these, we just don't know who's going to get let go. I'm very grateful my parents still have a job *knocks on wood*.
I have seen this in coaching too, it hasn't been to drastic, but everything is getting a little bit tighter.

I'm I nurse & I've heard these types of comments too, in staff meetings when we say we need more staff to properly care for our pts. Knowing there is a nsg shortage...don't know how they can think that way...but many hospitals do unfortunatley:(. Poor management skills to say the least! I feel for you! No hard working dedicated professional should be spoken to in such a condescending manner. Although I am grateful for my job. They are lucky to have my 20+ years of experience in my specialty:cool:. I think that deserves some respect.

It's condescending, sure. Although I will admit, demand for coaches here is very high and I do feel grateful. We haven't seen any downturn in our enrollment, on the contrary it's actually increasing.

For sure personally I *am* grateful, like I said it was a weird and unexpected reaction that shocked me. Friends, family, coworkers I'm friends with have said it and I nod along in agreement. Someone in a position to be nearly considered "the man" and it stung. My husband made fun of me (good naturedly and all) and I realize it's a personal thing on my side, not something that was said specifically to offend. Just when you think you know yourself out comes a surprise! I'm glad to hear your enrollment is increasing, good news!

I can see how that can be a little bit rude. But I can understand how he can say that. My dad works at a Ford dealership and we've seen many people get laid off, etc. and I hope he keeps his job. When one position at their work opened up, we saw atleast 200 people apply. I see a ton of people who work hard at my dad's work, we know each other personally and it's hard to see my dad have to lay people off knowing that when I got to visit work the person I used to go to candy for, or the person I used to go bug, won't be there anymore. I know they work hard, but in times like these, we just don't know who's going to get let go. I'm very grateful my parents still have a job *knocks on wood*.
I have seen this in coaching too, it hasn't been to drastic, but everything is getting a little bit tighter.

I know where you're coming from! My husbands department recently decided to take 5-10% paycut to stop the next round of layoofs. He works in IT, and all the guys he works with spend time together as families. They're all really nice people, you just die inside everytime layoffs loom because you've been to their houses and know their wives and kids. When the pay cut option came up they all unanimously agreed to it. Which I suppose should make me even more grateful for my job lol!

I'm I nurse & I've heard these types of comments too, in staff meetings when we say we need more staff to properly care for our pts. Knowing there is a nsg shortage...don't know how they can think that way...but many hospitals do unfortunatley:(. Poor management skills to say the least! I feel for you! No hard working dedicated professional should be spoken to in such a condescending manner. Although I am grateful for my job. They are lucky to have my 20+ years of experience in my specialty:cool:. I think that deserves some respect.

I totally agree! The practical side of says 'Yes, I am grateful.' The emo side that acknowledges how long and hard I've worked says something a little (ok a lot) kinder to the ego. In dire circumstances I think it's more important than ever to keep at least a shred of pride no matter what. At least that will motivate you to do what you have to regardless. Caving into fear and possible uncertainty is paralyzing, whatever happens you gotta know that you earned where you are and must have done something(s?) right to get there!

I'd probably tell the person where to shove it.

That was my initial reaction, luckily my brain to mouth filter was working that day lol!

People who work hard deserve their job, to flourish and succeed should be expected. You don't create a compelling life for yourself or your family by hearing things that suggest you do what you do out of fear.

Where is it that you live?? I wanna move there!
I hear what your saying. It's nice when your work is appreciated, but it's not a requirement for employment. Those days are long gone.

It's not exactly a very motivating thing to say either... but I do believe it's true. I am very thankful that I have my job. Even without a raise this year.. that's OK. No problem. A steady, and lasting paycheck is more important then a raise.

I can imagine that it's harder and more personal at a gym, but in Big Corp, to which I work, It's never about me - or how hard I work, or how much effort I put forth "for the good of the company". We're always under fear of layoff or off-shoring.

It's all about numbers, plain and simple. To the bean-counters, I know am NOT seen as a hard working, dedicated and tenured employee with a family, but rather a ranked, nameless employee-ID with a salary. Job security and generous severance plans are reserved for people that have the letters "VP" (or higher) on thier business cards. Thinking otherwise is what pipe-dreams are made of.

I learned a LONG time ago that all the HR puffery (in small and large companies) about how companies believes in "family first", "Work hard / Play hard", is all complete BS. This is especially true with the Big Corp Exec's that give themselves generous raise and large bonuses for all the 'hard work' they did to layoff 20% of the company workforce. You want to talk about something that REALLY burns me up -- that ranks high on the list.

Last edited:
Where is it that you live?? I wanna move there!
I hear what your saying. It's nice when your work is appreciated, but it's not a requirement for employment. Those days are long gone.

hahaha my former boss told me the same thing, kind of. I was recently in California and we had mojito's at Disneyland. He was like uhm are you still there pounding drinks?! We had a moment of wistful agreement, but alas reality is not kind. Oh well.

It's not exactly a very motivating thing to say either... but I do believe it's true. I am very thankful that I have my job. Even without a raise this year.. that's OK. No problem. A steady, and lasting paycheck is more important then a raise.

I can imagine that it's harder and more personal at a gym, but in Big Corp, to which I work, It's never about me - or how hard I work, or how much effort I put forth "for the good of the company". We're always under fear of layoff or off-shoring.

It's all about numbers, plain and simple. To the bean-counters, I know am NOT seen as a hard working, dedicated and tenured employee with a family, but rather a ranked, nameless employee-ID with a salary. Job security and generous severance plans are reserved for people that have the letters "VP" (or higher) on thier business cards. Thinking otherwise is what pipe-dreams are made of.

I learned a LONG time ago that all the HR puffery (in small and large companies) about how companies believes in "family first", "Work hard / Play hard", is all complete BS. This is especially true with the Big Corp Exec's that give themselves generous raise and large bonuses for all the 'hard work' they did to layoff 20% of the company workforce. You want to talk about something that REALLY burns me up -- that ranks high on the list.

I agree with everything you said. My husband lo'd at me and gave me a corporate cog in the machine's view of their bosses/business philosophy and the HUGE slaps in the face, hypocrisy, and total disregard they get the grand scheme of things. Sucks. Layoffs throughout undeserved or shady bonuses and raises infuriate me so much I can't form words that are acceptable here to describe them. I read about some riots in the UK today about those things, I'm not surprised and I hope the suits listen up. People are acting out their frustration and it's only going to escalate until they quit parading their greedy, transparent, nonsensical ways that treat the populace as pawns to their whims.

I was actually talking about something similar with my dad last night when he said the same thing about how I got stiffed when asking for a raise.

I know what you're thinking. A raise, in this time? Hear me out.

I came on, expecting to only be temporary until the head coach could coach all his hours again. It was only to help him out and kill some time before I hopefully found something else or moved. I didn't care what they gave me since at that time I had told them I wasn't expecting on staying afterwards ( why, no hours just so I could coach rec? ).

Through some diligence , I've figured out how much he made and more than likely what everyone else does. I copied down the numbers for tuition and have been meaning to do a Profit and Loss to see where they crank out and what the percentages are.

I stated in a letter to them, what I had made previously, as well previously in the area, and the general norm for coaches of my ability in this area. I also stated I was willing to negotiate about it however they do not know that I know the wages of the coach before me. I've heard disaster reports about his tenure and what was not getting done due to a lot of hearsay. Who knows.

So they gave me a miniscule raise, less than the coach I replaced who wasn't getting his job done to specs. A very big slap in the face.

Point being, if and when the time comes I find a better offer, they had better pay up or I'll walk and stick it to them. I'm a bit bitter as it was more of they are taking me for a fool. I don't take kindly to that. I remember a former owner once told me they didn't think I was as literate as I was when I had to write a letter pertaining to why I should become assistant manager/manager. What, I come off as an illiterate buffoon?

Man, I hate cheap owners. I know times are tough, but it's not my fault they don't know how to run a business. Actually, it is my fault I am here and willing to sacrifice a lot of my afternoon/evening time so I can rebuild the program until I can find someone else to fill in these classes so I can focus on coaching team. As well, business is actually booming and they have the nerve to tell me numbers are decreasing because of spring/summer. In that case, we'll just consolidate classes. The profit and loss will spill everything.

And yes, I hate all the crappy CEO's that give themselves huge bonuses and pay raises and screw over their employment force and cut people back when it comes to the next quarterly report. They should be taken out into the street and flogged. My dad has worked for a lot of those types and I can't stand those kind of owners.

Yes, I'm ranting but it really peeves me when I start talking about it. My dad says not to talk about it because he was really worried it would affect my job performance and demeanor. I need to go look at the classys tonight which is something of a shame and I don't want to.

I was actually talking about something similar with my dad last night when he said the same thing about how I got stiffed when asking for a raise.

I know what you're thinking. A raise, in this time? Hear me out.

I came on, expecting to only be temporary until the head coach could coach all his hours again. It was only to help him out and kill some time before I hopefully found something else or moved. I didn't care what they gave me since at that time I had told them I wasn't expecting on staying afterwards ( why, no hours just so I could coach rec? ).

Through some diligence , I've figured out how much he made and more than likely what everyone else does. I copied down the numbers for tuition and have been meaning to do a Profit and Loss to see where they crank out and what the percentages are.

I stated in a letter to them, what I had made previously, as well previously in the area, and the general norm for coaches of my ability in this area. I also stated I was willing to negotiate about it however they do not know that I know the wages of the coach before me. I've heard disaster reports about his tenure and what was not getting done due to a lot of hearsay. Who knows.

So they gave me a miniscule raise, less than the coach I replaced who wasn't getting his job done to specs. A very big slap in the face.

Point being, if and when the time comes I find a better offer, they had better pay up or I'll walk and stick it to them. I'm a bit bitter as it was more of they are taking me for a fool. I don't take kindly to that. I remember a former owner once told me they didn't think I was as literate as I was when I had to write a letter pertaining to why I should become assistant manager/manager. What, I come off as an illiterate buffoon?

Man, I hate cheap owners. I know times are tough, but it's not my fault they don't know how to run a business. Actually, it is my fault I am here and willing to sacrifice a lot of my afternoon/evening time so I can rebuild the program until I can find someone else to fill in these classes so I can focus on coaching team. As well, business is actually booming and they have the nerve to tell me numbers are decreasing because of spring/summer. In that case, we'll just consolidate classes. The profit and loss will spill everything.

And yes, I hate all the crappy CEO's that give themselves huge bonuses and pay raises and screw over their employment force and cut people back when it comes to the next quarterly report. They should be taken out into the street and flogged. My dad has worked for a lot of those types and I can't stand those kind of owners.

Yes, I'm ranting but it really peeves me when I start talking about it. My dad says not to talk about it because he was really worried it would affect my job performance and demeanor. I need to go look at the classys tonight which is something of a shame and I don't want to.

I just saw this post! I get what you mean about taking on something that's supposed to be 'temporary' and not only doing it but making it better. It's so funny how at the time employers think you're amazing for it, but as time goes on that morphs into 'well that's what we wanted in the first place, whoop-de-do want a cookie?' Well cookie time does indeed come from the employees perspective. There's got to be so much turnover angst that could be prevented by simple acknowledgment of a job well done or a surprise expectation exceeding standards.

I left the first gym I worked at over taking on a temporary responsibility I was overqualified for while waiting for the job I wanted to open up. A week after it did, they hired someone for it without telling me. I found out when I got introduced to the person on their first day of work, and I left the next day. I stopped coaching gymnastics for a few years after that because it was happening everywhere, and started again only after I got the position I wanted from the start. It's so common for complacency to set in, at the time it seemed like taking it would be accepting it as the norm and I didn't want to be tooled around.

I'm doing the same thing now, but this gym has me doing a MUCH broader spectrum of what I'm capable of so it feels like a give and take. I can deal with that, and even enjoy it. I'll be there for a year in August, and haven't brought up a raise or gotten one. What I want is dedicated time with a specific coach over the summer. I want to be there for their workouts and be able to ask questions and generally be accepted as someone who's looking to learn and NOT a bystander. Whether I get paid or not for it isn't my primary concern, which shows how unlikely I am to get that I guess lol. I've gotten a bunch of certs over the year, kept up to date on the ones I was hired with, and have been pretty flexible with my availability. Hopefully that's enough to get me what I want but who knows.

I agree that it's condescending, rude, and sounds a bit threatening too!! Of course we're ALL thankful we have a job in this economy.... everyone KNOWS we're thankful. But to phrase it in such a manner does make it seem, to me, a bit threatening. I work in the public school system here in Northern Virginia, and like everywhere else, we're facing huge budget cuts. And yes, the same comments are directed to us from the administration. I constantly feel like I have to be doing not only what is asked of me but anything that anyone else decides to throw my way that involves staying after school for meetings that have NOTHING to do w/my job. (I'm a teacher's assistant and my contract hours END at 2:50). But like you said, you perform over and above the call of duty and then to have a comment like that thrown at you? Well... yes, I'd be a tad bit upset as well.

I just did the profit and loss over my classes and wasn't very happy with the results with the % at gyms I have been at. Kinda miffs me when they say it's gonna be the slow season when the gym hasn't had this many kids in years from what I'm told. I was expecting baseball season and summer to take a few kids away but I keep on having to shuffle kids around to keep spaces open and will probably have to push team to later times to open up times for other classes.

In fact, crunching the numbers they are above what I think most gyms cut at and that portion would be what my pay rate isn't. I'm in a mental limbo of keep up the effort, go nowhere basically while sacrificing myself versus refer the team kids to the other gym and find a nice, stable gym that I will have move out of the area to. Did it once before with success though I'm not really looking to moving out of the area. It was my hope to find another PT job or vocation to allow this as my side job, but coaching really kills the 9-5 jobs or swing shift besides availability.

My mindset is straight from Mr. Baseball when the coach tells the owners after winning the pennant " It's gonna cost ya! " Perhaps this is just my free agent mindset or mistrust of owners over the years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back