WAG young coach in a dilemma - what would you do? Please help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pumpkinpie

Hello again!

So sorry to post this press handstand question just after the last thread, but this is really important.

Some weeks ago I told you guys of a new boy of my Level 4's, who has great tumbling skills, but a big lack in strength as he has been a dancer before!
Yesterday he did a full into a mat!!!!! With perfect form! I cannot believe it!

He got a lot stronger since he started. He has his standing straddle press now and he can finally manage to do at least some reps of pull-ups and leg lifts. And he finally can do 1 handstand push-up. I am so proud of him!

I really like him, but I see he is bored in training sometimes, when the others are still working on their tucks...
But his strength keep him from moving up, because he is too weak for rings!!!

I talked with his mom and they don't have big plan for him, although college gymnastics would be great they said!

I talked with the gym owner before practice. He watched Liam (the boy) and was also impressed.
He said that his skills and flexibility (he can do amazing oversplits and his shoulders are incredible flexible-perfect walkovers!) are so amazing, that he would overlook the strength component.

If the boy is able to climb a rope half way (7ft) up with no legs, can do 3 straddle press to handstands in a row and is able to do a standing back tuck onto a resi mat he knows he has a good base and is allowed to train with the Level 6 boys (he is coaching them) and he will spend extra time on preparing and conditioning with him.

I do a lot of prehab with the boys, because I know how hard rope climbs are on the elbows if you are not ready! But I think this is very reasonable, I have never tried rope climbs with him, but he can do 6 pull-ups or so, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Back tuck is also not a problem at all!

So I really want him to move up, because I can see how he looks at the older kids who are training for fulls and double backs and that he is bored with our RO BH BT things. I sometimes have him condition while the other work on back handsprings, but this is not fun for him, of course :(

So you see, I am in a dilemma!!! I am really desperate about this :(

Can you give me tips for press handstands? I would want him to be able to do it sooo badly!!

He can press up from a straddle fairly easy with good form. He can hold a straddle L for about 25 secs. But he can't get his bum and hips raised from the straddle L!

I have him do pike drags (he can pike up to about shin/ankle height), bum raises and pike presses against the wall, and I always spot him when he lowers down from a handstand to straddle L.

Liam just turned 12, he is about 5'3" and 115lbs.
Any other tips? What would you do? Do you think Liam will be able to do at least one straddle press handstand from floor by next season (September)?
Then I will work with him and maybe he manages to get the 3 in a row by Christmas?

I think it would be perfectly fine for anyone doing RO BHS Aalto to do rope climbs, especially if they're 12. This is the second time I've read that on this board but I've never seen or personally felt any kind if elbow stress from this activity.

I think it would be perfectly fine for anyone doing RO BHS Aalto to do rope climbs, especially if they're 12. This is the second time I've read that on this board but I've never seen or personally felt any kind if elbow stress from this activity.
I don't know, my coach always told us that if we can't do at least 5 pull-ups, we shouldn't do rope climbs, because this is hell for the joints! I have to say that after a training break, I can also feel my elbows when I do rope climbs, not in a bad way, but I feel it.

But he will definitely be able to do this by September!

I like your attitude and enthusiasm, but you have to make sure the kid either has the same dreams, or help him find the dream you want to share. The reason I say this is you seem worried that he'll become bored with the strength training you would like to see him do so he can get strong enough to move up and do the big boy skills.

If I were 12 and you were my coach I'd be pretty excited about being show how to get stronger because I valued that quality. I can't tell you why it was important, because I'm not sure, but it rarely took any convincing to get me working and I never thought it was boring.... Well, maybe it got boring between 18 and 19 years old, but until then I saw it and flexibility as the best way to get what I wanted from the sport.

I like your attitude and enthusiasm, but you have to make sure the kid either has the same dreams, or help him find the dream you want to share. The reason I say this is you seem worried that he'll become bored with the strength training you would like to see him do so he can get strong enough to move up and do the big boy skills.

If I were 12 and you were my coach I'd be pretty excited about being show how to get stronger because I valued that quality. I can't tell you why it was important, because I'm not sure, but it rarely took any convincing to get me working and I never thought it was boring.... Well, maybe it got boring between 18 and 19 years old, but until then I saw it and flexibility as the best way to get what I wanted from the
sport.

Of course, he wants it! His mom told me he is even working for his handstand pressesat home, because he finally wants to get it!!
He should really train in the higher level, but all if our Level 6 boys can do at least 3 straddle handstand presses in a row and an advanced tuck planche.

the gym owner said he would work with him to build the strength for the planches, but he definitely needs 3 presses before he can train with them, because this is just the basics!

So what is a reasonable time to achieve it? a

....So what is a reasonable time to achieve it? a

As soon as he can.

You can't put a timeline on strength progress because kids develop at different ages and rates, and differ in where their gains end. I try to forget about progress and focus on the process for six week intervals. It seems that I can measure their gains better that way.

So tell him to keep at it and see where he's at in six weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back