Youngest L 4 to compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

See, you learn something new every day! I didn't realize one couldn't compete until the age of 6. Thank you!

Every level has age limits. Most of the restrictios are on the USA Gymnastic web page.

here is the link for the overview

:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview

In my area they have to be the competitive age before the date of the state meet. If they turn say for Level 4 6years old even 1 day before the state meet then they compete as a 6 year old for all the meets prior to that state meet date. I don't know its like that everywhere or if each region determines when the age goes into effect. Im sure someone here will know that.

You cannot compete L4 until you turn 6, period. My state has started to split state into exactly even age groups, but for most meets, the gymnast's age for the season is calculated by the age at the state meet. I can think of a few meets where the gymnast competes as her age at the time of the meet, but that's really uncommon.

Every level has age limits. Most of the restrictios are on the USA Gymnastic web page.

here is the link for the overview

:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview

In my area they have to be the competitive age before the date of the state meet. If they turn say for Level 4 6years old even 1 day before the state meet then they compete as a 6 year old for all the meets prior to that state meet date. I don't know its like that everywhere or if each region determines when the age goes into effect. Im sure someone here will know that.

We have had this discussion before. If you are 6 the day before state you cannot compete as you cannot have competed in the qualifying meets (when you would be 5) . You have to be at least 6 on the day of the meet. That includes the qualifying meets. Age brackets above the minimum for each level are set by age at state as you say.

6 is the age for USAG L4 here in NJ. My DD competed as a 6 last yr and didn't do great, but managed to place in states on vault that yr. This past year we saw some BIG scores from 6 yr olds at some meets & states. Some very talented gymmies even at age 6! Check out the youtube pages section here at CB, our forum has some awesome 6's

Question about ages at compitition time other than level 4

Ok so we are in Region 4 and level 4 -6 have State in december.

My question is this are they in that age group the rest of the season as our season doesn't end sometimes until February?? There are invitationals after state for those levels.

next question in Optionals level 7-10 when state is in April is that the age they use all season december until April no matter when ther birthday in that time frame??

Sorry to interupt this post I just wondered about other levels.

Thanks for the help.

My DD (will be 7 in July) competed last year as a 6 year old level 4. She is repeating level 4 this year because we changed gyms, but it is a good thing, she was rushed and not well prepared last season, plus her personality tends towards wanting to do the big things and can't focus on the little things. There are some AMAZING 6 year olds out there, mine wasn't one of them, LOL. She had fun though and loves being out there, that is what counts.

Most meets the age groups for competition are 6-8. Only at States are they very broken down, my daughter was in youngest age group for States last year, think she will be in the next one up this year, but who knows.

There are even some 5 year olds out there who could easily have competed level 4 and done well, but they can't compete level 4 until they turn 6.

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! It is a fun place, lots of great info.

We have had this discussion before. If you are 6 the day before state you cannot compete as you cannot have competed in the qualifying meets (when you would be 5) . You have to be at least 6 on the day of the meet. That includes the qualifying meets. Age brackets above the minimum for each level are set by age at state as you say.

How do I find out when that State meet is where I live?

Dates for state meets are usually decided in the summer, so that information would probably be available in July or August. Our state has a large meeting to draw for weekends for meets and award the state meets to gyms that bid for them---they usually have it in early July.

Look at the USAG website for the state you are in ...illinois usag, NJUSAG, etc

How do I find out when that State meet is where I live?

If you are in Illinois (since it says Chicago :)), here is last year's calendar. Will give you an idea. Looks like level 4 had States in March/April depending on where you live (north or south). Not every gym does every meet. Gym politics. LOL.

Calendar

The youngest to compete L4 is a 6 year old but you can have a 4 year old compete L2. My dd competed L2 as a 4 year old and could of done pretty good as a L4 at 5 years old but because of the age requirement for L4 she is competing L4 this fall as a 6 year old. Although I am glad there was an age restriction because I think competing L3 instead gave her just what she needed to have a positive fun experience.

As everyone as said, you must be 6 to compete USAG level 4. However, I have found that most gymnasts at my gym who have compeated level 4 as a 6 year old, are much more successful as a 7 year old, 2nd year level 4. At these ages, girls are gaining body control at an incredible rate, and a year can make a huge difference, although there are always exceptions.

AT the meet our gym hosts in the fall, we had a little girl compete level 4 that turned 6 that day. She didn't do great, but she was awfully cute (she forgot a lot of her floor and beam routines).

If you are in Illinois (since it says Chicago :)), here is last year's calendar. Will give you an idea. Looks like level 4 had States in March/April depending on where you live (north or south). Not every gym does every meet. Gym politics. LOL.

Calendar

When does the new season calendar come out? I was talking to one of the coaches today and she said my dd wouldn't compete until December. Seems like such a long ways away, but it's going to benefit her to have all those months of training in before she see's a meet. Yes, I am in IL-northwest suburbs!!

The youngest to compete L4 is a 6 year old but you can have a 4 year old compete L2. My dd competed L2 as a 4 year old and could of done pretty good as a L4 at 5 years old but because of the age requirement for L4 she is competing L4 this fall as a 6 year old. Although I am glad there was an age restriction because I think competing L3 instead gave her just what she needed to have a positive fun experience.

The gym I am at doesn't compete until L 4, guess I will have to take the training she will get and hope it makes her a better gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back