WAG Your thoughts on Rachel-Marie Youtube channel re gym culture/safety?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wanted to ask your thoughts on a youtube channel in relation to gym culture. The channel is one of the most popular youtube chanels of its kind and the personal channel of a former SGG girl called Rachel. (Additionally, she has maintained a good relationship with the SGG management and is now also running the new incarnation of SGG.)

It's a lively and fun channel where the coaches have a friendly and familiar relationship with the gymnasts. It is a USAG approved/registered gym and the content creator Rachel is the daughter of the gym owners. In the videos the gymnasts can be seen to frolick and have playful physical contact with both male and female coaches. And that leads me to be interested in your thoughts on it, assuming a fair number reading this are American.

I don't live in America so don't know how commonplace the behaviour in the videos is for gyms there. The channel will be followed by a fair amount of young gymnasts and must therefore will be seen as an aspirational gym environment to some of them. And an illustration of what sort of behaviours are normal.

I don't mean to critise the channel or gym owners, they seem like good people who genuinely love and care for the young gymnasts. They do sleepovers at the gym and come across like a big gang of friends. But I make the post in the trail of the events in USAG in the last couple years and the topic of renewed codes of conduct. So I was wondering what thoughts these videos leave people here with regard to gym safety guidlines and gym culture for young gymnasts in America?

Rachel-Marie gymnastics channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCviupxNnpvue7xQ8Qb3pEgQ/videos

I just watched several videos and I didn't see anything that I personally found concerning. It seemed like the athletes were happy and enjoying themselves. I saw no safety concerns (sure, a coach tripped over a low beam, but stuff like that happens). Is there a particular video that had something concerning in it? From the ones I watched I'm honestly scratching my head over why anyone would have a concern.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on a youtube channel in relation to gym culture. The channel is one of the most popular youtube chanels of its kind and the personal channel of a former SGG girl called Rachel. (Additionally, she has maintained a good relationship with the SGG management and is now also running the new incarnation of SGG.)

It's a lively and fun channel where the coaches have a friendly and familiar relationship with the gymnasts. It is a USAG approved/registered gym and the content creator Rachel is the daughter of the gym owners. In the videos the gymnasts can be seen to frolick and have playful physical contact with both male and female coaches. And that leads me to be interested in your thoughts on it, assuming a fair number reading this are American.

I don't live in America so don't know how commonplace the behaviour in the videos is for gyms there. The channel will be followed by a fair amount of young gymnasts and must therefore will be seen as an aspirational gym environment to some of them. And an illustration of what sort of behaviours are normal.

I don't mean to critise the channel or gym owners, they seem like good people who genuinely love and care for the young gymnasts. They do sleepovers at the gym and come across like a big gang of friends. But I make the post in the trail of the events in USAG in the last couple years and the topic of renewed codes of conduct. So I was wondering what thoughts these videos leave people here with regard to gym safety guidlines and gym culture for young gymnasts in America?

Rachel-Marie gymnastics channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCviupxNnpvue7xQ8Qb3pEgQ/videos

The videos are boring and uninteresting, but I don't see anything alarming.

I watched a couple videos briefly as your question sparked my curiosity. I didn't see anything alarming as far as safety. It would be great if the culture in all gyms were truly lighthearted and fun while safe. The actual "Culture" of gymnastics for the most part desperately needs to change! The "Culture of Silence" or "Code of Silence" which has been so prevalent in the gymnastics world has not changed for the most part because many families are still under the old system of silence. This is because the Club owners and many coaches have not changed their ways! Oh they give lip service to change Just like U.S.A.G. did. We have experienced this personally. We are starting a You Tube channel in December 2018 about the Culture of Silence and changing it for good! COSflipUSA coming soon! This is not an easy thing for us to do or talk about but for the sake of kids now and in the future, it has to be done. We can all do something to change this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back