WAG YouTube / Instagram stars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Actually, I know 2 girls in the top 100, and neither put themselves in. I actually told one mom about it, because she needed a pic and a bio to go with the nomination. They were very excited and didn't even know.
They have to be nominated and yes you can nominate yourself or a stranger can nominate you...

We were told by a coach at a "power gym" that MSO asks gyms to nominate girls on their team. In this particular gym, the owners allowed each coach to nominate a girl from their team or teams. They didn't advertise that fact as they didn't want to create jealousy or the appearance of favoritism.

MSO looks at all the nominations and chooses that first 100. I'm willing to bet that the gym/coach nominations do well to be in that 100.

We were told by a coach at a "power gym" that MSO asks gyms to nominate girls on their team. In this particular gym, the owners allowed each coach to nominate a girl from their team or teams. They didn't advertise that fact as they didn't want to create jealousy or the appearance of favoritism.

MSO looks at all the nominations and chooses that first 100. I'm willing to bet that the gym/coach nominations do well to be in that 100.
Another interesting thing is that there weren’t 100 in the top 100, it was closer to 50. Maybe they didn’t get many nominations?

Last year there weren’t 100 initially either. They kept adding people even after the deadline. I think everyone who gets nominated gets on the list.

In their defence, the Bjerkens never spoke about her nomination, linked to it or tried to get people to vote for Whitney. I think they knew that she didn't compete enough to deserve to be nominated. It's just the fans who think she's the next Simone Biles. Whitney herself never acts like she's the best or even mentions the Olympics; and she has said that her goal is simply to qualify elite which seems like a relatively reasonable thing to aim for given her talent.

That said, I really don't see the point of these kinds of awards. They're just popularity contests and money-making opportunities for certain companies. What do votes have to do with gymnastics??? Wasn't it a couple of years ago when the older Bratayley girl won an MSO gymnastics award while being a barely average level 8/9 just because their family had a gigantic fanbase?

In their defence, the Bjerkens never spoke about her nomination, linked to it or tried to get people to vote for Whitney. I think they knew that she didn't compete enough to deserve to be nominated. It's just the fans who think she's the next Simone Biles. Whitney herself never acts like she's the best or even mentions the Olympics; and she has said that her goal is simply to qualify elite which seems like a relatively reasonable thing to aim for given her talent.

That said, I really don't see the point of these kinds of awards. They're just popularity contests and money-making opportunities for certain companies. What do votes have to do with gymnastics??? Wasn't it a couple of years ago when the older Bratayley girl won an MSO gymnastics award while being a barely average level 8/9 just because their family had a gigantic fanbase?
But she won the award for best gymnastics YouTube channel. Not a top gymnast award. I agree though, The Who MSO awards thing seems pointless

But she won the award for best gymnastics YouTube channel. Not a top gymnast award. I agree though, The Who MSO awards thing seems pointless
I was initially excited when my daughter made it on there last year, but I quickly realized the point is to get all those nominees to pay for upgraded profiles, increase site traffic and get more people to create accounts so they can vote. It has nothing to do with gymnastics abilities or accomplishments.

Just a thought, say one of these 7 and 8 year old Instagram stars turns out to be a great level 10 gymnast. Could these Instagram accounts/moms have the potential to hurt their recruiting chances? I’m thinking specifically like a Lonzo and LaVar Ball situation. No question the antics of the father have hurt at least the younger brothers.

Just a thought, say one of these 7 and 8 year old Instagram stars turns out to be a great level 10 gymnast. Could these Instagram accounts/moms have the potential to hurt their recruiting chances? I’m thinking specifically like a Lonzo and LaVar Ball situation. No question the antics of the father have hurt at least the younger brothers.
I would say only if they break NCAA rules.. but most just post .. post... a lot :)

I like Sage Thompson.
I love Sage also. She had bad luck with injuries and then when her Dad died- that was heartbreaking. She doesn't post on You Tube much anymore. There was another gymnast who was very good and posted on YouTube when she was young- Kyrie. I was amazed at the level of talent and perfection from kids so young!

Might be extra attractive to up and coming programs wanting to grow their fan base.,,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back