Yurchenko fits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has been doing the Yurchenko vault with a roundoff, backhandspring,tuck for her level eight vault. She hits it perfectly sometimes but is not always consistent. At her first meet he seemed to go off to the side of the horse on her back handspring. She did her tuck but corkscrewed off the table and landed on her back. Fortunatley she wasn't injured badly. she tried but could not do her second vault. She is OK now, though she has a bruised foot, which is another issue.

One of dd's coaches has diagnosed her vault problem as being in the roundoff approaching the horse. He has filmed her and worked with her and thinks he has solved the problem. He has communicated this to her new head coach. Her new coach, has acknowledged this improvement on the Yurchenko but he has chosen an alternative vault for dd to work on. I can't recall the name, but it starts out with a roundoff then a backhandspring. But as dd springs backward she twists her body around so as to spring 'forward' onto the vault table. There is no tuck on the landing.

Without a tuck, this new vault has a start value of 9.1 while the Yurchenko at level eight has a start value of 10. I'd like to see dd do the Yurchenko but want her to be safe, too. I'd like to tell her new coach, that I want him to try to continue working on the old vault to make it more consistent as opposed to abandoning it for a vault with a lesser start value. DD has gotten a 9.1 on her Yurchenko before while the new vault has a maximum of 9.1. He hasn't actually told what vault he will have her do in competition.

We have a meet this Saturday and I'm fit to be tied. What is an anxious dad to do?

DD is strong and consistent in her other events so this one obstacle is really frustrating.

Tuduri

Can a tuck be added to the new vault for level eight.

I don't know what to tell you, but it sounded like the Yerchenko she did and did get hurt on was not what you want her to be doing right now. I know most L8s either do the Yerchenko or a tsuk. My gymie is doing Yerchenko timers and likes the vault, but the coaches do stress to the girls there is not much room for error. Heck, a couple of years ago it was considered too hard/dangerous and L8s couldn't even compete it.

Obviously, with a meet in a few days, you need to know what vault she's going to do. Maybe this coach wants her to do something more secure and safe until he can work to correct the problem with the Yerchenko. Sounds like you need to discuss all this with him. It could take her a few weeks of just breaking the vault down and fixing the problem before he'll let her try and do it again.

It sounds like she's doing a RO entry half twist on. I'm pretty positive you can't flip that in L8. Actually I didn't even know you could do it without the flip but it makes some sense. You can't flip other forward flipping vaults so I'd guess this would be the same. You could probably twist it and bring the SV up at L8. This could be the coach's plan. This vault can be flipped at the higher levels, so it is a very valid base vault to be working on for development. Kyndal Robarts got a 10 at Texas states (L10) last year on a RO 1/2 on pike off http://youtube.com/watch?v=QqYMjYvC5JM

I'm not a huge fan of the L8 yurchenko option although it still seems pretty rare around here. I've seen some pretty scary ones on youtube that I personally wouldn't compete, but I guess the coaches know they consistently clear the table. Still, if something like that happened, I'd pull it out too. It's difficult sometimes for girls to work through settings and warm up time constraints at meets and he may want her to get the experience of doing a RO entry vault she is consistent at.

As far as approaching the coach, I guess you could ask for a private to work on yurchenko drills. Being in competition season it can be hard to keep working on a vault that isn't, well, working. Particularly because of the limited set ups on that event in a lot of gyms in my experience. That is the hardest event to really totally get something in the middle of the season. I've seen a lot of level 8s have to compete FHSs for some of the season because of this, until there is a few weeks break from a meet it can be hard to have the option of them vaulting into the pit, for instance, with the coach's full attention.

Has she tried any Tsuks?My daughter will be competing a piked Tsuk which has a startvalue of 10 as a Level 8,a tucked Tsuck has a startvalue of 9.5

Yurchenko

Sensing that I was nervous about my dd's vault, our director took me aside last night and allayed my fears. Looks like we will do the alternative vault for the next meet but will continue working on the Yurchenko. We will be adding a flip or tuck(whatever you call it)to the alternative vault for level nine. Meanwhile, dd has done lots of Yurchenko drills and will probably go back to the Yurchenko at the end of Frebruary. We are going to try to qualify for Hopes in a about 6 to 8 months and, I was told, dd will need two vaults for that. So the alternative vault with some kind of flip added to it will probably be that second vault.

The Tsuk is an interesting idea. I know that dd has done them in the past.

We are going to do regular privates with the new coach to work on the bars and vault. We'll be working on several bars skills we need for Hopes and we'll definitely do some work on the Yurchenko and alternative vault as well.

Fortunately, dd's level eight skills on the floor, beam and bars are very strong.

Thank you all for the advice.

Tuduri

A basic Yurtchenko is pretty important, especially for a Hopes kid. As long as she keeps working those, she should be okay.

If you trust the coaches, there shouldn't be a problem.

... We are going to try to qualify for Hopes in a about 6 to 8 months and, I was told, dd will need two vaults for that. So the alternative vault with some kind of flip added to it will probably be that second vault.

By the way, Hopes don't need two vaults, and never have.

Sensing that I was nervous about my dd's vault, our director took me aside last night and allayed my fears. Looks like we will do the alternative vault for the next meet but will continue working on the Yurchenko. We will be adding a flip or tuck(whatever you call it)to the alternative vault for level nine. Meanwhile, dd has done lots of Yurchenko drills and will probably go back to the Yurchenko at the end of Frebruary. We are going to try to qualify for Hopes in a about 6 to 8 months and, I was told, dd will need two vaults for that. So the alternative vault with some kind of flip added to it will probably be that second vault.

The Tsuk is an interesting idea. I know that dd has done them in the past.

We are going to do regular privates with the new coach to work on the bars and vault. We'll be working on several bars skills we need for Hopes and we'll definitely do some work on the Yurchenko and alternative vault as well.

Fortunately, dd's level eight skills on the floor, beam and bars are very strong.

Thank you all for the advice.

Tuduri

im glad she's going for Hopes! i wish her all the luck. thats great because sometimes its difficult for gymnasts to develop two flipping vaults. im sure she will be an amazing vaulter in the future!

second vault

I didn't know that Hopes did not require a second vault. My dd's coach /director told me it was. Maybe she was trying to mollify and get me out of her hair.

We just had our second meet. DD got an 8.25 on her alternate vault which she learned about a week ago. She got an 8.175 on her beam after falling twice, once on the front hand spring and once on a simple 360%turn. But her splits, double back handspring, back tuck and full dismount were great. The beam may be her best event.

Fortunately, dd came in first on the bars and floor. She got a 9.475 on the bars and a 9.350 on the floor. The floor was her last event and she was the last gymnast to do her routine. It was a nice way to end four hours of sitting on a hard bench.

Our next meet is in another four weeks,The Spirit of the Flame, which our club hosts. There will be about 650 girls competing. Dd should have her Yurchenko back by then and her beam will hopefully be what she is capable of.

Tuduri

I didn't know that Hopes did not require a second vault. My dd's coach /director told me it was. Maybe she was trying to mollify and get me out of her hair.

They do get two vaults although they can be "same or different". So it is possible her coach wants to develop two vaults to see which scores better. But it's not a requirement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back