Parents How to stay positive when all the other parents are negative

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So now what has broken me today is one of the little girls was doing round off backhandsprings the coach asked if she needed a spot the girl said no, and well she is on her way to the ER

Negativity is a terrible thing...however...what you wrote above is a touchy subject with me.

90% or more of the time...an injury on a RO-BHS at L3 is a coaching error. Many of our kids say NO to a spot at that age/level. It is a coaches job to ensure safety.

How about when a cgm is talking negatively about your child behind your back. Telling others gym moms that your dd shouldn't be trained to moving up and her daughter should (others informing us of her rants). Again behind your back. Ignore it? Feels like bullying to me. This is the second season of this....confronted her twice now and asked politely that she not judge our daughter with others, seems like it won't stop until her dd advances ahead of ours. I can deal with adult to adult behind the back smack talk but when it's about another person's daughter, I think it's awful. Thanks for letting me vent here.
The other parents need to tell her to stop talking about other kids. Don't talk to her, she won't change. Tell the other parents it upsets you that she is talking negatively about your dd and ask them to tell her they don't want to hear it.

My dd has had a target on her for the past two years from one CGM all because my dd does well. She has it in her head that her dd is the best and is always telling me crazy things that aren't true. She is constantly ripping on the coaches and gym as well. In our first year of competing together she had her dd in weekly privates and told everyone not to tell me. o_O We get along for things other than gym but she's crazy.

We only have one cgm and she's the first one I've come across, I think I'm pretty lucky to be at a gym for 2 years with a team of 30 and only have had to encounter one by some of your stories! Lucky everyone just runs in the other direction as soon as they see her or hide lol I think it may just be possible that she's getting the message her daughter is on what we call a development team and she told another parent that her kid was the level as this other kid because they could do the same amount of chin ups!!

Oh wait she's still crazy just posted a video instructing her dd to do bhs fhs and front somis on her garden trampoline over and over when she can't even do a bwo on floor ... Then she sent it to the coach

When I hear this I'm quite glad of stuffy "British" behavior, and the stopping power of a well aimed "tut" and an arched eyebrow, I'm getting quite good at it, got the withering stare down to an effective 15 yards !
Do you do guest appearances? ;)

How about when a cgm is talking negatively about your child behind your back. Telling others gym moms that your dd shouldn't be trained to moving up and her daughter should (others informing us of her rants). Again behind your back. Ignore it?
Ignore the CGM and cheer enthusiastically for her daughter (and everyone else's too, but especially hers).

Ignore the CGM and cheer enthusiastically for her daughter (and everyone else's too, but especially hers).

I totally agree with this. The crazy always shows eventually and the other parents and coaches will see it in time. Stay above it and feel sympathy for her dd.

My SIL has one in her gym and she has gotten her dd involved. The poor little girl has so lost her confidence to the point that she has taken to one upping everyone regardless of whether it is based in fact. Her mom has spent so much time focused on the gymnastics of her dds teammates that this poor child's gymnastics is no longer her own. The other gurus are tired of hearing her bragging abd the moms are tired of hearing the put downs. My SIL doubts they will be there much longer. And ultimately it will be because of CGM's attitude toward the team and their families.

While we don't have a lot of crazy gym parents, I've seen a few. I think it is always important to keep in mind the health and welfare of the child of such a parent. The parents themselves may drive you right up the wall, but whenever you feel tempted to let your annoyance reflect onto the child, remember that s/he has to live with it, not just endure it for a few hours at a time in the viewing area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back