WAG Missing shoot through a Level 3? (spot, omit?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wait.

I haven't gotten the chance to watch the videos yet, although I will later. The video may answer my question.

What I teach is any time they fall forward, they are to HOLD ON TO THE BAR and flip over. I teach this most specifically when first learning squat ons (in the event they catch a foot) and shoot throughs. I thought this was teaching a slip grip fall, is it not?

Wait.

I haven't gotten the chance to watch the videos yet, although I will later. The video may answer my question.

What I teach is any time they fall forward, they are to HOLD ON TO THE BAR and flip over. I teach this most specifically when first learning squat ons (in the event they catch a foot) and shoot throughs. I thought this was teaching a slip grip fall, is it not?
Yes, that is the slip grip. I personally think it happens naturally, so I don't enforce it and I make sure all my kids who are learning giants know not to do it. So I'm not sure about actually teaching it, although it's obvisouly not a big deal, unless you are teaching giants.

I just want to say that yes, kids can get hurt while doing shoot-throughs. So coaches need to use their best judgement on spotting or not, scratching or not, or definitely for "winging it" and seeing if it happens during competing. My DD fell forward during a powerful shoot-through after she already had her leg on the top of the bar (so there was no way to hook it on), didn't switch her hands (happened so fast), fell off the bar and ended up spraining her elbow. Hasn't completed one since.. Because of fear. That was over a year ago.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back