WAG Deduction for doing turns on your bad leg?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

Vivianflips

Is their a deduction for doing turns on your bad leg? I'm a righty for everything else but I turn leftie and do my split jump on beam leftie. So I'd like to be prepared to face a deduction for that if there is one. I've tried learning how to do my turns and split jump on beam on the right foot but I'm pretty sure it's just never going to happen! For the five years I did dance, I turned and leaped leftie. Thank you for your help in advance! I know I'm a pretty crazy case here, don't even get me started on the other skills I used to do leftie :rolleyes: that have thankfully been fixed!

In compulsories, it might mean an extra step or something so maybe 0.1. In Optionals, since you get to design the routines, the judges can't deduct for your choice of foot to start on for any skill. They have to judge what they see andthen compare it to the requirements. :)

In compulsories, it might mean an extra step or something so maybe 0.1. In Optionals, since you get to design the routines, the judges can't deduct for your choice of foot to start on for any skill. They have to judge what they see andthen compare it to the requirements. :)
I agree with this. And it's killing Puma Jr right now! She's a righty, but wants to do about 25% of skills lefty. It didn't matter in Xcel Gold last year, but now for L4, she's having to relearn a lot. Oh her poor coaches.... Lol

Thank you for clarifying this for me! I'm doing xcel so it shouldn't matter but if I'd gone and done l3 like I originally planned that would have been an issue!

I agree with this. And it's killing Puma Jr right now! She's a righty, but wants to do about 25% of skills lefty. It didn't matter in Xcel Gold last year, but now for L4, she's having to relearn a lot. Oh her poor coaches.... Lol
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person with this problem! Good luck to Puma jr. On fixing her skills, I know it's tough!

I think you should learn the entire routine lefty and then reverse all of the major acro skills. For USAG JO, none of the dance can be reversed to the opposite side, but pretty much all of the acro skills can be without deduction. So if you learned the routine with all lefty dance (including the choreography. Not just the leaps and jumps) and reversed the skills, you would receive no deductions. If you did the righty choreography and reversed the jumps and turns, you would lose half the value of each.

Is their a deduction for doing turns on your bad leg? I'm a righty for everything else but I turn leftie and do my split jump on beam leftie. So I'd like to be prepared to face a deduction for that if there is one. I've tried learning how to do my turns and split jump on beam on the right foot but I'm pretty sure it's just never going to happen! For the five years I did dance, I turned and leaped leftie. Thank you for your help in advance! I know I'm a pretty crazy case here, don't even get me started on the other skills I used to do leftie :rolleyes: that have thankfully been fixed!

My DD does forward leftie, and BWO righty. (she's a righty "in real life").
Because her BWO was opposite in her floor routine for L4, she took an extra step after the turn so she had her right leg to kick over. I was told (by judges) that this was not a deduction.

Do you do cartwheels righty or lefty?

My DD does forward leftie, and BWO righty. (she's a righty "in real life").
Because her BWO was opposite in her floor routine for L4, she took an extra step after the turn so she had her right leg to kick over. I was told (by judges) that this was not a deduction.

Do you do cartwheels righty or lefty?
I write with my right hand and I do my cartwheels righty yet I used to kickover leftie! Fortunately I was able to fix that!

Kids will almost always instinctively kick over (and thus back walkover) on the wrong leg if they aren't corrected. It is because it is easier to kick off the floor with the strong (good) leg, while your bad leg is in front, up in the air doing no work.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person with this problem! Good luck to Puma jr. On fixing her skills, I know it's tough!
Thank you! She's working hard and has improved a lot! I love hearing from the teen gymnasts. :) Good luck!!!

There are provision in the routines for flipping the whole routine to the other side, or for certain select skills. I don't kno of the turn is one of those skills.

Has she made her coaches aware of the issue?

There are provision in the routines for flipping the whole routine to the other side, or for certain select skills. I don't kno of the turn is one of those skills.

Has she made her coaches aware of the issue?
Oh, they are painfully aware!!! Lol She's working so hard to correct it though. Her first meet won't be until Dec 5 (I thought it was Nov 21, but only optionals are going to that one) so hopefully it will be straightened out by then!

Kids will almost always instinctively kick over (and thus back walkover) on the wrong leg if they aren't corrected. It is because it is easier to kick off the floor with the strong (good) leg, while your bad leg is in front, up in the air doing no work.
That makes sense! I still have no idea why I used to do handstands on beam leftie....

I haven't really seen this. Nor did I experience as a kid. I cartwheel right and I kick over with my right leg first. My dd does both with her left leg. She does most sports leftie, she writes right though.

I haven't really seen this. Nor did I experience as a kid. I cartwheel right and I kick over with my right leg first. My dd does both with her left leg. She does most sports leftie, she writes right though.
You wouldn't tend to see it except the first day of teaching kickovers, where the first few attempts are almost always on the wrong leg. I would guess that you and your dd were corrected. The coach should quickly correct the leg before they practice on the wrong side. By day two, you wouldn't see it done on the wrong side anymore. As a test, try asking a few random non-gymnast kids, who can do a bridge, to try kicking 2 inches off the ground. I'll bet they kick w/ the opposite leg they cartwheel with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back