WAG XCEL Gold Judges, Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is competing BOTH Platinum and Level 7 simotainiously this season. She will be competing her level 7 routines for floor and beam. They have far too many skills and may not be "competitive" in Xcel because of it. DD is fully prepared to be placed lower and absolutely does not want to water down her routines to win. On bars she will not be doing her level 7 Giant Giant layout flyaway. I love Xcel and that she has a chance to shine in the AA

My DD is competing BOTH Platinum and Level 7 simotainiously this season.

Why on earth is she competing a Xcel and JO in the same season? This seems to violate the spirit, if not the rules, for Xcel. Obviously she isn't using it to bypass compulsories. She apparently has plenty of talent to compete in JO optionals. She isn't doing it to have more free time for other activities (as she has more competitors and routines to worry about with 2 seasons going on simultseously). Not sure I understand the gym's thought process.

I really do understand the OP's original concern. I have a group of Gold's that were mightily out scored on bars by almost everyone at our last meet. All my Gold's kip, two with the tiniest of bent elbows and one with a form break with her legs. I also have some kip on the high bar and others do flyaways. My athletes scored fine--between 8.8 and 9.3--but routines were scoring 9.8 that consisted of pullover, cast, back hip circle, cast, squat on, Level 4 dismount. As a coach, I have to examine whether to change our routines in order to be competitive or not. For now, we will stick with the harder routines bc I have plans for this group to move to 6 eventually. That might change as we get closer to State.

My Silvers purposefully compete the easiest (imo) routine and score 9.5+ routinely. It's been a coaching strategy to compete that routine and train the lips and squat ons for next year.

It is what it is!
My daughter has been on the cusp of levels. Our coaches philosophy is for them to be and feel successful at meets (that doesn't mean always first but be their most successful selves at meets). And they uptrain, to keep them challenged and from getting bored. And when we changed to this gym, they dropped my daughter back a level. And my daughter was upset at first. As per my conversation with the coaches at the time. We could keep her where she is but she will struggle or we put her back, work on her form and she will be very successful. They were correct and even my kid who was 7 at the time got it after a couple of months. And she is a much better gymnast for it.

And as we head to our IGC, season where like Xcel there are a range of skills in a level they will compete what they do best, min, max or somewhere in the middle. But they will do what is required.

I'm sure as they head to 6, the coaches will have them compete what they do best not the ones that are still a challenge for them, those will be kept for practice until they are meet ready. And they won't add anything not necessary. Because when you add you add potential deductions.

Be warned that USAG is much, much pickier than Xcel in scoring. We have had other little talented ones here whose coaches have taken the same path. Rushed in to higher level skills without perfecting lower level ones. Not saying this is your daughter, but if it is USAG can be a brutal shock.

If she is getting below 9 at Xel I would say she probably needs more time to perfect her skills. Great leaps, tight legs, pointed toes etc etc. ALl those things are what gets you in to the 9's.

@Mrs. Puma might be able to offer some real insight.
Absolutely. Puma Jr was placing at every meet last year, now coming in dead last or close :( Let me know if you need to chat, OP! Good luck!!!

She is the only level 7 and there were 2 other Platinums so three to make the team. For team to place well all scores count so its not gym trying to win, don't worry. She has developed a major fear on her dismount and will not do it. She is not a great competitor and while it is possible, I don't expect her to sweep medals. Withour Xcel she wouldn't even have a team. Its not violating the spirit of Xcel! :)

She is the only level 7 and there were 2 other Platinums so three to make the team. For team to place well all scores count so its not gym trying to win, don't worry. She has developed a major fear on her dismount and will not do it. She is not a great competitor and while it is possible, I don't expect her to sweep medals. Withour Xcel she wouldn't even have a team. Its not violating the spirit of Xcel! :)
You don't *need* to be in team competition to compete a level. I've seen plenty of xcel and JO teams too small for the team awards, and I've seen teams big enough simply not wish to pay for it. It does seem an odd philosophy on your gym's part to have her doing L7 and xcel. I am in the camp that it should be limited to one per season, though.

To OP. Having been in this for more years some things come to mind
Skills - just cause you can do it doesn't mean you are mentally ready to do it. You will understand this once she progresses further. Physical ability more often than not can take a back seat to mental ability and the mental side can often can totally derail the physical

Judging - in any judged sport there is a portion that is subjective, get used to it. Why did one judge last week give my kid a 9:5 on bars and the other 9.1.? Did it suck yes as in a competitive meet that can drop her out of top placement. Again get used to. Move on. Focus on the meet goals not the score.

Competing - as another said is a game. Which game your gym chooses to play directly effects the outcome. Some compete 'lower' to score higher, some compete higher for experience. Again as others have stated its about getting to level 9,10. Paths there are varied.

Cyber bullying - sorry you put it out there. Gotta take the good with the bad. Make it private so only the "real" people can see it. Problem solved

Last thought talent and success don't always go together. There are many talented 6 yr olds, few will succeed. Success in this sport has many layers. The road is long and only gets harder at each step. There are some parents here whose kids are truly talented, listen to what they have to say you might learn a thing or two. I personally tip my hat to them it is not an easy job. Above all protect your child's talent, don't exploit it, ditch the YouTube videos.

er
I am overwhelmed by a few of you adding to the conversation with very little valuable input on my question but with very negative, purposefully mean responses about my daughter for some reason.

Overall, some of your comments were appalling, relentless, very off topic to my inquiry, highly critical, and very unkind just to prove a point that my daughter sucks and I'm a horrible person for possessing gym equipment in my house.... Cyber bullying at it's finest :) Your posts reminded me of a quote from Stick It- "They don't call it gym-NICE-tics." Thank you, Unkind Posters, for being my first go around with the overzealousness that can come with the people of this sport in my 3 years of being involved. I'm glad to say you have been the minority in my experiences. I will not visit this account any longer. I will stick to conversing with real people who do not hide behind a computer to spew their nastiness towards other people's children in this sport :)

Actually this has overall been a very civil thread. Its been long and there a lot of differing opinions but civil. No one called said you child s*cks and no one was mean. Nor is anyone bullying you. You have gotten honest, blunt opinions. We have all said things like your child is good, talented etc... And don't post stuff out on the net if you don't expect a difference of opinion.

You however keep insisting a whole bunch of kids are not working hard (I find that mean). And you keep insisting that kids doing allowable skills are not as good and their coaches are not playing fair (as if they are cheating). I also find that mean and insulting.

You are now accusing folks of being mean, insulting bullies for one reason and one reason only. You didn't get agreement with your opinion

You have gotten very good feedback, from coaches, parents and gymnasts who have been at this much longer then you. I am newbie compared to most of them and you are clearly newer still. And rather then take that feedback and learn you have opted to say folks are mean insulting bullies because they don't validate your position.

Also some meets she will do 7 and others Platinum not both at same meet. It's partly due to scheduling and this switch was made just after her level 7 season started.

er

Actually this has overall been a very civil thread. Its been long and there a lot of differing opinions but civil. No one called said you child s*cks and no one was mean. Nor is anyone bullying you. You have gotten honest, blunt opinions. We have all said things like your child is good, talented etc... And don't post stuff out on the net if you don't expect a difference of opinion.

You however keep insisting a whole bunch of kids are not working hard (I find that mean). And you keep insisting that kids doing allowable skills are not as good and their coaches are not playing fair (as if they are cheating). I also find that mean and insulting.

You are now accusing folks of being mean, insulting bullies for one reason and one reason only. You didn't get agreement with your opinion

You have gotten very good feedback, from coaches, parents and gymnasts who have been at this much longer then you. I am newbie compared to most of them and you are clearly newer still. And rather then take that feedback and learn you have opted to say folks are mean insulting bullies because they don't validate your position.
THIS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back