Coaches Which tumble track do you prefer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Emmijay

Coach
As a new club, we do not currently have the budget to install a full size sprung floor, therefore we are considering purchasing a tumble track instead. We already have an inflatable tumble track - the kind that requires a fan attached constantly while in use - which is ok, but very noisy. Please could I have Coaches and Gymnasts opinions on preferred tumble tracks? We are not sure if to go with a trampoline type track, a rodded track or a strip of sprung floor. Our gymnasts are doing round-offs, back handsprings, tuck backs, layouts, front tucks etc on the inflatable track ok but we want to install a better facility. Many of our gymnasts have only ever used our inflatable tumble track to learn their tumbling skills and therefore have no idea of the "feel" of a sprung gymnastics floor. Many thanks for your input!

I'd go with the strip of standard floor so the gymnasts can have a chance to learn their skills on that - since it can be quite different from a tumble track. Especially if they ever compete

I'd go with the strip of standard floor so the gymnasts can have a chance to learn their skills on that - since it can be quite different from a tumble track. Especially if they ever compete
Agreed, I had this at my old gym and although it wasn't ideal but it worked the best

Good point about future competitions. Do you think our Gymnasts will find tumbling easier on the sprung floor? I personally think the inflatable track we have slows the tumbling down and they do tend to bounce in odd directions!

Inflatable floors are probably easier to learn new skills on because they give you lot's of height, they can also be a pain for easier skills because they send you all over the place. Inflatable floors need a different rhythm to tumble on then a sprung floor. Keep the inflatable floor for learning new skills and get the strip of sprung floor because ultimately that is going to be the most useful and practical long term when the girls start competing.

We have an inflatable tumble track and when I competed I hated doing stuff on it and would much rather do things on the floor.

I'd agree. If your gymnasts are ever going to compete, they need at least a strip of spring floor so they can learn what things feel like.

My thoughts:

A strip of regular Sprung floor is fine up until a certain skill level.

Air tracks/fast tracks are great for saving wrists and ankles from a lot of impact.

Rod tracks are great for learning more complex tumbles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back