WAG 10 year old level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymettemom

Proud Parent
I am wondering; what are the chances of my DD, who is a 10 year old level four, ever making it to collegiate gymnastics? She does beautiful routines and averages 36 AA, but is just short of the free hip on bars to compete level 5. When I read on here about 10 year old level 9's, I feel like she is really behind.

Please remember that the age/level thing is skewed here. We were just joking about that in a thread that no one ever talks about the "old age"/low level combo.

I don't know about college but there are plenty of 10 year old L4s. Tons! So she isn't "behind".

Are you asking about a full-ride scholarship to a big-name school? If so, unless she ends up skipping some levels, that would be tough. However, if you mean, "will my daughter be able to continue participating in this sport that she loves when she gets to college?" then there are lots of options. A girl at DD's gym "only" spent 2 years at level 10 and never made it to nationals and she accepted a spot on a lower-ranked Div. I team with some $$ involved, but not a full scholarship. And then there's Div. II and III and "club" gymnastics (NAIGC). My daughter, as a 7th grade level 8 (destined to repeat level 8 again next year), is also on the older end of things, so I try to keep up with what her options might be if she wants to continue gymnastics in college (though I can totally see her deciding that she wants to coach instead).

I've got a 10 year old level 3. Will start training 4 in April. I try to not get too wrapped up in the future as she is driving the boat not me. I've heard that puberty and teenage years can deter even the super talented/early start gymnasts. And on the flip side, sometimes maturity lends itself to being more focused and driven to work harder to reach goals. So enjoy now and time will tell!

The University of Utah is one of the better NCAA Gymnastics teams. The girls who compete for them are very, very good. (I think Makayla Skinner has committed there already). If you look at their roster you will see that they have TWO girls who didn't even start gymnastics until age 10. So, for your DD it really depends on her talent, work ethic, and luck!

Mine is 10 (almost 11) and just got moved up to Level 4 last month. She'll compete it in the fall. So, you're definitely not alone!

Depends on the gymnast. My daughters coach didn't start gymnastics until she was 9 years old and ended up winning state her senior year and got a scholarship to a Div I school.

There was a post on here a short time ago (within the past few weeks, though I can't remember who started it) who wanted to know what the 'standard' ages were for different levels at different gyms across the country. If you find it, you'll notice that 10 is pretty standard for a level 4 at many gyms. At DD's gym, the 4s are a little younger, but we just did a move up, so by the time comp season rolls around, most of them will be pretty close to 10 if not already there (the youngest L4 we have will be 8 in July; the oldest just turned 12 in Jan).

I agree with whoever above me said that those of us who spend much time here tend to be parents of higher level younger girls, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with how successful your DD will be. I would just sit back and let the sport take her where it takes her and revel in her enjoyment (and know that, in the long run, collegiate scholarship or not, she's learning some very important life skills that will help her when she grows up and moves out of your house--discipline, fitness, healthy eating, lifelong friendships, mental toughness, etc).

Bottom line (for what it's worth from me): Let her enjoy her moment in the sun and you sit back and have a blast watching her have fun. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back