Parents Late start to Level 10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

yaox

Proud Parent
Just found this site through reddit..

I recently became aware that we are very much behind in the world of gymnastics.. My girl is 11 years old, started level 2 last year, and just finished competing at level 3 (got a state championship). I'm curious to know if there's a possibility for her to compete in Division 1 college gymnastics or even pursue a professional career. If this is a viable goal from an age perspective (understand the talent part), what would be the recommended path, specifically the levels she should aim for in each grade?

Reactions: JBS
Hi! I'm glad you found us! Your DD has lots of time to enjoy the sport even if she has started 'late'.

Predicting a timeline for advancement is a little tricky. To maximize her chances of going as far as she can you will want to make sure she in at a gym that more or less tries to advance students to a new level every year. Even among gyms that do a good job of moving kids along, there is much variability. For example, it's common to skip L5 or L6 because the levels are similar but not every gym does this and even if they do, it may not be appropriate for every athlete. In my experience most kids will end up repeating L8 or L9. Assuming your DD is part of a gym with the philosophy described above (skipping L5 or L6, repeating L9), she would be 17 or 18 at the earliest for hitting L10.

Talent of course is huge for longevity in the sport. Any athlete who reaches L10 is athletically gifted but showing great promise in L4 is no guarantee or predictor that they will have what it takes to get to L10. Things that can impact or slow a kid's training (besides lack of talent) include puberty (growth spurts and growth-related injuries hits some hard), desire to spend more time with friends or try other activities, a poor work ethic, mental blocks and injuries. A poorly timed injury or mental block can easily cause a kid who would have been on track to advance a level to have to repeat. Don't underestimate the impact all of this has on an athlete's training. Everyone is impacted in some way by each of these factors - even the most talented kiddos.

As far as D1 gymnastics - most are looking for multi-year L10's. For the highest ranked teams this means 4+ years as a L10. A first year L10 will most likely not be able to get a scholarship D1 spot, if anything at all unless they are exceptionally good on an event or two. I'm assuming by 'professional' gymnastics you mean Elite/Olympics...this is a whole other world. Think of the impacts described above x 1,000.

With all that said, your DD has plenty of time to enjoy the sport. She can enjoy lots of success while learning life skills that will help her through out her entire life. No one here can say whether she will make it to L10 but there is more to the sport than doing it just for that reason.

Just found this site through reddit..

Welcome to the site.

Nothing is impossible... however... the chances are small. Here is a good article...

I am going to be honest here, the number of athletes that make it to D1 is extremely small, and the group that make it past that is even smaller. I would suggest you enjoy your daughter's journey, whatever it will be. My daughter is ten and has been in the sport since she was 11 months (mom and me classes started young since we were in the gym with her brothers anyway). She is not going to compete in college or make a living off of gymnastics in the future, but the benefits she gains every year from the experience are amazing.

Hi! I'm glad you found us! Your DD has lots of time to enjoy the sport even if she has started 'late'.

Predicting a timeline for advancement is a little tricky. To maximize her chances of going as far as she can you will want to make sure she in at a gym that more or less tries to advance students to a new level every year. Even among gyms that do a good job of moving kids along, there is much variability. For example, it's common to skip L5 or L6 because the levels are similar but not every gym does this and even if they do, it may not be appropriate for every athlete. In my experience most kids will end up repeating L8 or L9. Assuming your DD is part of a gym with the philosophy described above (skipping L5 or L6, repeating L9), she would be 17 or 18 at the earliest for hitting L10.

Talent of course is huge for longevity in the sport. Any athlete who reaches L10 is athletically gifted but showing great promise in L4 is no guarantee or predictor that they will have what it takes to get to L10. Things that can impact or slow a kid's training (besides lack of talent) include puberty (growth spurts and growth-related injuries hits some hard), desire to spend more time with friends or try other activities, a poor work ethic, mental blocks and injuries. A poorly timed injury or mental block can easily cause a kid who would have been on track to advance a level to have to repeat. Don't underestimate the impact all of this has on an athlete's training. Everyone is impacted in some way by each of these factors - even the most talented kiddos.

As far as D1 gymnastics - most are looking for multi-year L10's. For the highest ranked teams this means 4+ years as a L10. A first year L10 will most likely not be able to get a scholarship D1 spot, if anything at all unless they are exceptionally good on an event or two. I'm assuming by 'professional' gymnastics you mean Elite/Olympics...this is a whole other world. Think of the impacts described above x 1,000.

With all that said, your DD has plenty of time to enjoy the sport. She can enjoy lots of success while learning life skills that will help her through out her entire life. No one here can say whether she will make it to L10 but there is more to the sport than doing it just for that reason.
Thank you for the very detailed reply! Her gym does skip level 5 as far as I know. Completely agree on the enjoying the sport comment.

Welcome to the site.

Nothing is impossible... however... the chances are small. Here is a good article...

That's a great article.. Basically numbers tell me that the elite chance is basically none and D1 is extremely small.. All of them are at least level 8 by the age of 11.

I am going to be honest here, the number of athletes that make it to D1 is extremely small, and the group that make it past that is even smaller. I would suggest you enjoy your daughter's journey, whatever it will be. My daughter is ten and has been in the sport since she was 11 months (mom and me classes started young since we were in the gym with her brothers anyway). She is not going to compete in college or make a living off of gymnastics in the future, but the benefits she gains every year from the experience are amazing.
Hate to admit it but it sounds like the truth based on the evidence given in this post.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back