2013 proposed changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi - I'm new here. Just wondering if the proposed 2013 changes will go into effect for the 2013/2014 or 2012/2013? I'm hopiing 2013/2014....as our gym starts competition at L4...and my brand new level 4 (this year) may not be able to do the current L5 skills by next season.
Thanks.
Sherry

I'm looking forward to seeing the optional level changes (are they out yet?). DD would theoretically be a current level 8 for the 2013-14 season. Wondering how different the old level 8 and the new one will be, since what I have seen suggests that the new L8 will be something in between L8 and L9 skills. Wondering how many girls in this predicament will try to jump to the new L8. I'm thinking this will be a big stretch for dd but I guess this would depend on the skill set.

From what I understand, new level 8 is going to be like to old-old level 8(pre 2009 difficulty restrictions). All C's will be allowed again(not just C dance and select UB skills like currently). So will see double back dismounts on bars, back tucks on beam, one and a halfs on floor, etc.

I'm quite curious how this will all work out as well, because DD's current gym does not compete below level 4 & DD won't be 6yr until Jan 2013. When the changes hit, I'm wondering if they will start competing the new level 3? If not, will the age for the new level 4 be the same as the old level 5 & will DD have to wait another year? Hmm......

I'm quite curious how this will all work out as well, because DD's current gym does not compete below level 4 & DD won't be 6yr until Jan 2013. When the changes hit, I'm wondering if they will start competing the new level 3? If not, will the age for the new level 4 be the same as the old level 5 & will DD have to wait another year? Hmm......

The new level 3 will basically be the current level 4. So, gyms should all adjust and if they are currently starting girls competing at L4, they will under the new number system start competing at L3. It is just numbers.... However, currently girls do not have to start competing until L5 for USAG mobility, so technically gyms could change their minds and wait to start girls competing until L4 in the new system. However, most gyms will continue doing what they are doing now, which means the numbers will all just shift down. The age for the new L4 will be the same as the current L5 since the skills are the same and they don't want girls who are too young and little jumping to the high bar, vaulting on the vault, etc...

Does anyone know why USAG proposed these changes? It implies that level 6 becomes an "optional" level like 7-10. What would those requirements look like. And, what is the strategy for the change in terms of changing US gymnastics? Does it affact the higher levels, making them harder to reach, easier to reach. Does it provide a foundation for making the US stronger in gymnastics competion globally? Will it change college gymnastics, impacting what colleges look for and expect in a gymnast coming from level 9 or 10?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to understand the big picture. :D

Does anyone know why USAG proposed these changes? It implies that level 6 becomes an "optional" level like 7-10. What would those requirements look like. And, what is the strategy for the change in terms of changing US gymnastics? Does it affact the higher levels, making them harder to reach, easier to reach. Does it provide a foundation for making the US stronger in gymnastics competion globally? Will it change college gymnastics, impacting what colleges look for and expect in a gymnast coming from level 9 or 10?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to understand the big picture. :D

O.K. This is my understanding. There was a very big "leap" in skills between level 8 and level 9, so USAG decided to put an additional level in between the two. So that new level becomes level 8 and everything before that (current level 8 and back) gets pushed back a number. So there is no official "level" that is equivalent to the current level 1 (not that all that many gyms bother with levels before leve 3 anyway) and everything else gets moved back. So the new level 6 will have the same skill requirements as the current level 7, new level 5 will have the same skill requirements as the current level 6, etc. While it may be annoying for those who are currently in the middle of things, the 5 levels of compulsaries, 5 levels of optionals does have a certain symmetry to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back