WAG Advice from (compulsory) coaches? Any of you experienced this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachMeg

Coach
At my gym, we have 4 team coaches. 2 of us coach compulsory levels (me included), and the other 2 coach optionals. (Both us compulsory coaches are in our early 20s and the optional coaches are in their late 50s- so definitely some superiority, not that all of us aren't capable of coaching higher levels) I have a group of girls that could potentially train level 6 this summer and it breaks my heart that I will no longer be able to coach them. I have trained all of these girls since pre-team and have even picked several out from advanced rec. classes many years ago. I've only been coaching team gymnastics for 3 years and I guess it's just hard because this was my FIRST group that I started coaching competitively when they were level 3s and they ended up winning 8th place team at state - & three 1st place state winners.

Just thinking about this season ending and them going to the optional coaches makes me sad :( Not that they aren't good or anything because they are excellent, but because I want to coach them myself! And all of them are saying that if they make optionals they want me to choreograph their routines. I almost want to bring up in a coaches meeting if me and the other compulsory coach can coach up to level 6, but I know they probably won't go for that.

This is probably a really silly post but just feeling sad :( I feel like I've watched these girls grow up in the past 4 years and have watched them transform into amazing gymnasts...I want to continue working with them!

I am in exactly the same situation. And I feel like I've proven myself with my group and am hoping for the opportunity to continue to do so. I'm hoping that because they will still have all their current optionals (except one senior) and can't take 10 more that they will let them stay together with me. If they do get moved up without me I know that I will do a good job with the next group I get. But maybe sharing coaching would be an option?

Nothing wrong with feeling that way, it's natural. But the structure at your gym is set and that is the program. You can ask that you remain on one or two rotations a week with them, so that you can develop your skills as a coach and maintain contact with them. That isn't much to ask and we do it in our program if it happens to work out. Never hurts to ask right?

No advice really, but I feel for you.

Back when I only coached rec, I was always sad when "my girls" went off to be on team. Didn't happen often, but occasionally. And I felt that way even though I recommended them to the coaches. It's hard. Especially when you've worked with a certain group for years.

If you are doing well in compulsory then you should stay there because it is the most vital link in the chain since developmental levels teach the basic form necessary. I like the compromise of asking to do an event rotation once a week or maybe working with them on dance and choreography skills, the optional coaches might welcome a break or extra rotation.

Yes, I often work with kids ages 4-8 from developmental through compulsory. It is hard to "let them go" but I don't feel my best placement as a coach is optional because I feel really good developmental coaches are needed.

Is your goal to become an optional coach or to remain a compulsory coach who has some time with the new optionals?

It can't hurt to let the gym owner, or head coach or whoever makes the desicions know that you are keen to coach level 6. All they can do is say no? But if you don't say anything they don't know that you are yearning for it.

For me when I look for a coach to step up to the next level I look for one who is clearly passionate about learning more never one that thinks they already know exactly what to do. Why not show your passion by trying to extend yourself as a coach. Ask to stay back where you can and observe the coaches to learn more, attend seminars, upgrade your qualifications and show you want to learn all you can.

If it is all to no avail you may just need to accept the fact that you work for so,ebody else, it's their gym and they make the call.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll bring the idea up in our next team coaches meeting and see how it goes over.

And yes, my goal is to be a well-rounded coach for every level. I'm in developmental right now (pre-team + compulsories), but eventually I'd like to be able to coach optionals too.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll bring the idea up in our next team coaches meeting and see how it goes over.

And yes, my goal is to be a well-rounded coach for every level. I'm in developmental right now (pre-team + compulsories), but eventually I'd like to be able to coach optionals too.
Our compulsory coaches train compulsory and hand off to optionals coaches at L6. It's been this way for years......I asked them if they get sad about it, and they said, kinda but they are happier that they don't have to deal with the scary teens!!!! (They have trained optionals, but prefer comp) They get them all sweet and obedient from 5-11 or so.......And they STILL get all the hugs hello and good bye after the handoff, but no drama!
Just a different perspective ;)

I've considered being only a compulsory coach, but I like levels 6 and 7 too much. I would happily handoff at level 8 or 9 though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back