Around the side?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
Recently, I was watching a video of my beam from a meet. When I did my BHS, something looked off to me. After slowing the clip down, I realized why. It's hardly noticeable, but it almost looks like I'm pushing off and not going completely over the top with my legs. They go slightly around the side. I'm surprised my coaches never noticed this, but it is pretty subtle. Looking back at old meet videos, back to when I first got a BHS on beam, I have always done it this way.

Obviously, this makes the landing a little to the side, and harder to balance. My problem is that I honestly cannot feel myself going to the side at all when I do it. If I do them on floor, it doesn't happen. In back layout stepouts, it doesn't happen.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? I'm at a loss, because I never even knew it was happening, and can't tell that it is when I do them.

probably not. i'm sure there is a plausible explanation for why you do it the way you do. like lack of shoulder/thoracic flexibility. sometimes coaches have to work with what an athlete hasn't...not with what they have and then make the best of it.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back