WAG Back handspring help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I am wondering if it's safe to try back handsprings on a thick mat or trampoline by yourself. I have been told that I am very strong in my shoulders and arms and also flexible. ( Not bragging, just sharing the information in case it's helpful.) I can do one easily over the barrel mat and sometimes my back doesn't even touch the mat on the highest one. I can also do one down a large wedge mat in the pit, although I bend my legs when I do that. I have done them also on the trampoline with a spot,

This is one of those things you should let your coach guide you on. Trying it by yourself before your ready could lead to either injury or doing it improperly, thus building bad habits.

If you are already at that stage in class it won't be long and your coaches will have you doing it on your own in class.

Doing this skill on your own, when first learning it can result in catastrophic injury, remember your are jumping backwards towards your head. If it doesn't go right it can cause some serious life long damage.

What is more self teaching can seriously slow down your progress as a gymnast. I have never seen a self taught skill that does not have a number of technical errors, if these errors are not corrected at best they will slow down your progress to the next stage of the skill at worst they can actually develop habits so bad that the gymnast never moves on. It takes around half the time to teach a kid the skill correctly than it does to unteach bad habits and fix a self taught skill.

Noooo... DD was doing backhandsprings everywhere before I put her in gymnastics. As you can imagine, they were ugly. It took a really long time to fix them. Even now it's probably it's probably her worst floor skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back