Parents bobby pins vs bun pins??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dynamicduo

Proud Parent
I've been doing circle braids on my dds hair for competition but the ends of the bobby pins always seems to stick out. And sometimes they stick too much into their heads and they are always pulling on them and can make them quite loose over the period of a meet. I keep hearing about bun pins on cb, do they work better? Where do you buy them because I can't seem to find them at the drug stores around here! Thanks! :)

Reactions: COz
Often just called "hair pins" but NOT the same as bobby pins. They are differently shaped and come in different lengths.

Here's the kind we use (bought at a local pharmacy store).

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-HAIR-PI...d=1390939237&sr=1-28&keywords=goody+hair+pins

I've heard others have success with the "Spin pins" but I have not tried those. They seemed heavy for my daughter's fine hair, but might be awesome. The regular bun pins a.k.a. "hair pins"have worked super for us so far.

Yes, perfect, thanks Sasha!! And, I've been putting them in wrong this whole time too, thanks for the video!

Yay, glad it was useful. My pins are also less 'heavy duty' than the video, and worked well for my daughter's fine hair (very similar to girl in video). I also used a strong gel ("Short Sexy Hair: Hard Up" brand) instead of hairspray to slick back the hair, and just hairspray for allover finish once bun is in place. Worked just as well for me.

Happy bun making!

You can order bun pins online at dance stores as well. :) I always divide the hair into 2 strands but otherwise do buns the way the video shows. For dds smaller Princess Leia buns I use up do hair pins, not the bun pins. I get those at Sally beauty supply and they stay in well, the bun pns would be too large. The bun pins are absolutely invaluable for single buns though!!

I tried editing but it didn't work... The pins in the link from amazon are the up do pins I use for the tiny buns. I wouldn't use them for single buns, they're too small for that unless your gymmie has very, very fine hair. :)

We use regular old hair pins by Goody or Conair...buy them at Walmart..about $2.79...bun never moves...

Yeah, the thinner little ones come out kind of mangled and bent for long thin hair in a single bun. At least they're easy to straighten out :)
In Australia they're sold in pharmacies and supermarkets as 'fringe pins' and 'hair pins' or 'bun pins' are their big sister versions.
It didn't even cross my mind that they might have stronger ones in shorter lengths available online.

I don't have the industrial strength ones shown in that video. Will have to try them out.

Not suggesting that it's useful for gym, but I used to have my hair in a bun all day with a pen. Take lid off, shove it through, put lid back on :)

lol I have loads of photos from Uni with various writing implements shoved into hairdos. Better than my friend who used to use her pants to tie her hair up whilst doing her make-up, fine until she forgot and stepped out ......

A little bit jealous -- we are under strict injunction to use no pins!

My DD told me the same thing, profmom - no bobby pins. I just try to hide them because I don't know how else to make a bun stay - a hair net alone doesn't hold it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back