WAG Conditioning before a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast-mac

Gymnast
I'm wondering about how much conditioning should be done at practice the night before a meet. Our old head coach would never have us do any conditioning the practice right before a meet, just stretching. This year, we have a new head coach, who will have us do limited conditioning if we have a meet the next day, and have us do all of our regular conditioning if we have a meet in 2 days (on Fridays when we have meets on Sundays). What option do you think is better?

These kids are pretty used to the work and recover so quickly, so I'm in favor of conditioning before most meets because.........

It helps them understand that a part of life is about meeting challenges.

Their physical preparation is more important than their "meet readiness".

It sets a tone that tomorrow is just "another day".

It's fine to gradually reduce the energy spent on conditioning as the kids enter the post season phase of the competition season. I think cutting back to point where they can maintain their strength gains a week before states help their overall energy level, and no conditioning the practice prior to the competition.

Kids at L9 and L10 should wait for the reduction phase until the week prior to regionals, as their post season seems to last forever, and you can't dance if you don't "pay the piper".

I think it depends on the level too. Lower levels and minor meets can just be part of training, without any need for tapering or resting prior to a meet.

The more important the meet, the more need for pre-competition planning.

I say none as a gymnast. Our coaches think it is more important to do well at a meet than try to build up streangth before one. If I had to choose one I would go with Friday conditioning because then you have Saturday to work through it

I would not suggest you do anything above and beyond what you usually do. I would also say if you usually practice Friday and condition and are sore during the weekend you might want to scale it back.

We are almost done with our regular season (1 more meet and states left) and my hours and condition have leveled off and I really don't ever feel sore. That tends to happen more with the increased in condition and hours in the off season.

At our gym, we usually do a bit less so we aren't so stiff and sore the next day. I always feel not at my best when we have back to back training days since my body needs some time to heal. But if the meet is in 2 days, we just do the regular conditioning, but our coach isn't as strict about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back