WAG Covering a Mat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sort of a strange question, and a long shot that anyone will have any info, but I thought I would ask in this forum as it gets the most traffic.
We have a mat that needs a new cover and HC has tasked me to come up with something. But with the measurements in hand, I'm wondering if it's really the most economical option or if just getting another used mat would be a better choice. Does anyone have experience doing this kind of thing? What type of fabric did you use? What was the cost?
The mat measures 12'x6' (3.5" thick), so I would need a sizable amount of fabric. I can get a heavy-weight, canvas type fabric locally (need to check on cost)- but I'm pretty clueless as to the athletic vinyl typically used for mat covers. I'm wondering if I could get the same type of material marketed for a different purpose cheaper? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I spoke about this either here or in a FB group the other day.

Firstly you need access to an industrial machine, the vinyl material is fairly thick and then if you are French seaming it , it becomes extremely thick. Then the material is a special order item. The best equivalent I have found is used in boating for sail covers and dodgers. A sail maker may be able to give you a quote.

I think the width will be a problem, unless I have a seam down the middle. But that would make measuring tough- and that's just a lot of fabric to manage! I wonder if someplace with industrial machines/heavy duty fabric locally could come up with something cheaper?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back