WAG crash course level 8 101

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom39

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Transitioning into level 8 and my understanding is that unlike the other levels you don't get the same credit for skill requirements but rather there's start values and bonus points. Can someone help? I'm trying to catch up before the meet season begins and I like to be informed.

Yeah, but if you have really good technique and execution on the "non-extra" stuff, but crappy technique on the extra - (the full on floor comes to mind the most to me on this, as it doesn't look like it's required, but is definitely pushed by coaches as a req for 8) - I'd think you'd still be better off just doing the lesser skill that meets the requirements. .2/.3 isn't hard to rack up on a poorly executed skill IMO, and it's certainly not worth risking a fall over either. And is it really worth repeating level 7 over .2-.3 on a couple events?

Yeah, but if you have really good technique and execution on the "non-extra" stuff, but crappy technique on the extra - (the full on floor comes to mind the most to me on this, as it doesn't look like it's required, but is definitely pushed by coaches as a req for 8) - I'd think you'd still be better off just doing the lesser skill that meets the requirements. .2/.3 isn't hard to rack up on a poorly executed skill IMO, and it's certainly not worth risking a fall over either. And is it really worth repeating level 7 over .2-.3 on a couple events?
This is my thinking also.

Typical level 8 routines
Vault-Tuck or Pike Tsuk or Yurchenko
Bars-Pirouette on low bar, clear hip to hs giant giant flyaway
Beam-Bw or Bh Bh series, switch leap, 2 jumps, round off back tuck dismount
Floor-Full twist, Front tuck front tuck or whip to back tuck, Back layout or front pike plus leap pass and 1 1/2 turn

The really good level 8s will add in double tucks off bars, layout step out or full twist off beam, 1 1/2 and front layouts on floor

Typical level 8 routines
Vault-Tuck or Pike Tsuk or Yurchenko
Bars-Pirouette on low bar, clear hip to hs giant giant flyaway
Beam-Bw or Bh Bh series, switch leap, 2 jumps, round off back tuck dismount
Floor-Full twist, Front tuck front tuck or whip to back tuck, Back layout or front pike plus leap pass and 1 1/2 turn

The really good level 8s will add in double tucks off bars, layout step out or full twist off beam, 1 1/2 and front layouts on floor
Thank you

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx08_L6-8cheatsheet2014.pdf
This chart shows an overview of requirements at L6,7,8. If you look at the Composition Deductions section you will see the variety of composition expectations for L8. L6 and L7 are designed to get used to doing optional routines, and so the composition is not judged. At L6 and 7 it really is just a matter of who has the cleanest routine, but at L8 you begin getting rewarded for more difficult routines (As long as they are clean) as well as making sure routines have variety of elements, even distribution, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back