WAG I was put on a lower level and I don’t know what to do!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When I was 11 I was on level 5 and I was on my way to level 7 but I broke my ankle and had to take a break. Ever since then I am not as good I once was. So I repeated level 5 again and I did slightly better. So in my gym there are level 6s and 7s and the coach said she will tell us before summer which level we are on. Though I started to get mental blocks and not progressing like my teammates. So I was put on level 6. I am going to be the oldest on my team and I wanted to be with all of my friends. It makes me really sad to think about knowing that I am not where I should be. So I am trying to aim for level 8 next year but it is hard to stay optimistic knowing people feel bad for me and will be asking me questions about why I am not with my friends. I wish I never got injured. I want to know how I can reach level 8 from level 6 in a season. Btw my coaches are not the best since it is a small gym so I have to take matters into my own hands. So if anyone has and tips on dealing with being behind, how to get to level 8, and how to progress with a coach and by myself I will greatly appreciate it. I am 13 now. Thank you!

Hi! I shared your post with my own 13yo daughter and she said this:

Try to remember that you aren't behind, you're moving at your own speed and there will be times when you're getting a lot of new skills and times when you are losing skills and dealing with mental blocks. The hardest part is pushing through that, going to practice every day and working hard on what you are doing and trying to do it to the best of your ability.

She also said that while having long-term goals is really important, it's good not to let those goals overshadow what you need to do everyday. Don't focus on "I have to get this skill" or "I need to get that skill". Instead, just focus on what skills you have right now, and work to perfect them to the best of your ability. If you do that, she said, the coaches will notice and it will help you progress by showing them how hard you're working and that you're ready for whatever's next.

As to people asking questions, she said that every gymnast who is a human being (lol) has gone through injuries, mental blocks, and feeling like they're falling behind. Your fellow gymnasts will understand. (As for everyone else, I would say you don't owe anyone an explanation!)

She also says, your whole gymnastics career is like one long road with speed bumps, potholes, stop signs, and sometimes giant brick walls! The hard part is dealing with each obstacle as it comes and not giving up when you're halfway through climbing up and over those walls!

'I want to know how I can reach level 8 from level 6 in a season.'
That's a great question that you should talk to your coaches about. Hopefully you are working together to help reach your goals. I would also ask yourself if you would rather be a competitive level 6, or a struggling 8? There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer, just different people have different preferences when it comes to that. Sorry for your struggles and hope it works out to your satisfaction.

When I was 11 I was on level 5 and I was on my way to level 7 but I broke my ankle and had to take a break. Ever since then I am not as good I once was. So I repeated level 5 again and I did slightly better. So in my gym there are level 6s and 7s and the coach said she will tell us before summer which level we are on. Though I started to get mental blocks and not progressing like my teammates. So I was put on level 6. I am going to be the oldest on my team and I wanted to be with all of my friends. It makes me really sad to think about knowing that I am not where I should be. So I am trying to aim for level 8 next year but it is hard to stay optimistic knowing people feel bad for me and will be asking me questions about why I am not with my friends. I wish I never got injured. I want to know how I can reach level 8 from level 6 in a season. Btw my coaches are not the best since it is a small gym so I have to take matters into my own hands. So if anyone has and tips on dealing with being behind, how to get to level 8, and how to progress with a coach and by myself I will greatly appreciate it. I am 13 now. Thank you!
Unfortunately, injuries happen. They suck, I know, every Gymnast goes through at least one. You were put into a level where YOU, not your friends, can perform YOUR best. Coming from a fellow 13 year old, this sounds like all that adult wisdom that feels like they forgot what it felt like to be your age and have friends but it’s true! They say it for a reason. Maybe the level 6 and 7s train together but just compete in different sessions. talk with your coaches, maybe yo can attend level 7 meets to cheer on teammates, maybe you can even come out onto the floor as a helper, maybe your friends can do the same things for you. See if you can create a plan for you to catch up to teammates. If you get over your blocks, can you move up mid season especially since you won’t have to change your floor routine? Sometimes for beam as an example, my coaches will say 7 routines or 4 stuck routines. Can you talk to your coaches and agree on something like, if you finish the 4 stuck routines, can you up-train hard, for level 8 skills. Can you ask them to set up level 8 skills throughout practice in different events, maybe on a day where there is a small group and everyone finishes their vault assignment, you guys can flip vaults into the pit. And it comes down to reality, which is level 7 to level 8 is a huge jump itself let alone for, level 6. If being with your friends is that important to you, you may have to accept that you might not score the best, might have lower start values, may scratch an event, may be missing skills, and will not be on the podium every time. Also as for being the oldest, I actually enjoy being the oldest, the littles look up to me and it’s really cute. Also I am close friends with some 11 year olds. Age doesn’t always matter for making new friends. But I get it, you wanna be with your friends.

If you are at a small gym are you training with your friends and just competing at a different level?

The answer to their question about level is very simple and honest. "I got hurt and lost a year". Nobody is going to look down on you because you got hurt.

Trying to self teach skills that you are not ready for is a quick way to get hurt again and then you will never catch up. Adding in outside the gym training sessions (strength or conditioning) can help somewhat but often leads to burn out.

Point being is that you are on your own path, nobody knows what their journey will be or where they will get side tracked but almost every gymnast will have something that slows them down whether it's physical, mental, or social stuff happens. Their is a good chance that some of the other gymnasts end up slowing down and then you will be in a group with them.

I know quite a few girls who will repeat level 7 even though they did great last year. L7 to L8 is a huge jump! It's very likely your friends might need to repeat and then you could be in the same L7 group next year. See if you can feel solid in L6 skills and then upgrade skills. I echo what others said- focus on your own journey. It will all even out!

My daughter spent an extra year at 6while her friends went to 7. They all practiced together. They then repeated 7 so they did a year of 7 all together.

Her friends went to 8, my daughter went with, no ready and broke her arm barely competed. Coaches Want you where you will be successful.

We, daughter, coaches and parents made a joint decision to move my daughter to L8 to stay with her friends. Coaches would have rather she stayed 7 and were very clear with her she would not score well. She got it. Was happy with her friends. It was the only year she missed qualifying for states.

You had an injury. You are not where others are. That is not bad or good. It’s just where you are at. So let’s say they move you knowing you are not ready. Are you ok with potentially being last or nearly last at meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back