EEP!Hair help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
I have a meet a week from today and obviously we are required to wear our hair back.I have fairly long hair that is layered and hits about mid-chest.The problem is that if, when up, it reaches our back(which mine does) then we are required to wear it in a bun,but my hair will not stay in a bun (braided,wrapped,ballerina style lol) to save my life!Also toward the end of my floor routine i do a roll to the ground in order to finish and my bun always falls out when i do this.Any tips/suggestions?Thanks!

One of the other moms at our gym gave me this hint, which really seemed to help - not sure why but it did. My dd has long fine hair and I could not get it to stay in a bun for the life of me. This other mom told me to use a second hair tie at the base. So, put it in a tight pony and then put another band on top. Tight Tight Tight. Then you can wrap it up. I found that hair pinning a scrunchy around the bun helped the bun stay in as well as making it look a little fuller.

Good luck at your meet!

One of the other moms at our gym gave me this hint, which really seemed to help - not sure why but it did. My dd has long fine hair and I could not get it to stay in a bun for the life of me. This other mom told me to use a second hair tie at the base. So, put it in a tight pony and then put another band on top. Tight Tight Tight. Then you can wrap it up. I found that hair pinning a scrunchy around the bun helped the bun stay in as well as making it look a little fuller.

Good luck at your meet!

Thanks!When you say at the base do you mean 2 hair ties arount the ponytail?

Tons of hairspray and gel, tight elastics, and you could try a bun cover- they should sell them at dance supply type stores. It's like a hair net that you can wrap around the bun and secure with pins/elastics to ensure the bun doesn't break free. You could also try to braid it in either one or multiple sections before wrapping it up in the bun.

My DD had hair down to her bum and it was thick. We had to do a bun no choice. What we did was get the "sport hair ties" they are flat with a rubber side. they hold great and you can get them at most wal-marts or pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens etc.

do the pony tail then spray down your head to smooth out any flyaways. We use Freez-It and it's like glue. Then divide up your pony tail into at least 4 sections and braid each section and spray each braid section with spray so they are sticky. Then wrap each section around the base of the pony tail and pin it in so the pin goes under the hair tie and spray again. Then get yourself a "bun cover" and put it over the entire bun and pin the base of that bun cover so the pins go under the pony tail holder. Put a pins into the bun itself from the side as it secures the bun more. then just put a scrunchii at the base I never had to wrap it or pin that it just stayed. On your head part where its smooth we had the flat hair clips to hold the flyaway hair if any. It looked like a crown of clips going around the pony tail but it held everything in.

We did this for my DD and she could get it done the night before sleep on it and have it perfect in the AM for early practices. It never fell out or got loose. She could keep it up like that for a few days and it never fell out or got loose.

here is a link to what a bun covere looks like you can get them online or at your local store that sells hair stuff like Sally's Beauty supplies or in the malls at Claire's or other such stores. Many of the Dance Supply stores have them too.

http://www.discountdance.com/dancew...ign=Products&gclid=CLGw4OnAza0CFcZM4AodMC1UiQ

If you curl your hair does it still reach your back? If not you could just curl it and put it in a normal ponytail. Otherwise I've found that putting my hair in a nice tight pony then grabbing the end and twisting it helps form a good bun, then secure with an elastic and bobby pins/clips and then a scrunchie. I used to have long hair that was really thick and wavy and went almost to the small of my back but I recently donated 11 inches and my curls shot up like a spring and now it barely fits in a pony, so doing my hair for my next meet is going to be interesting!

I only just learned to put my daughter's hair in a bun this year, and I learned from this site. And now I actually have friends telling me how nice it looks and asking me to teach them!
First, damp hair with lots of gell. One meet I used mousse and it fell out. If you find a gell with the word "glue" in the name, I think your set.
Tight pony tail. Check after you make the pony tail to make sure you didn't miss any bits... maybe less of an issue if you're doing your own hair since you'll be looking at it from the front, but I've done my daughter's hair and then turned her around to discover that I missed a clump. After managing to fight off the urge to just cut off those extra strands, I undid the whole bun and re-did it. Bleh.
Divide it into 2 sections... or if your hair is thicker, you could do more. Divide each section into two parts. Twist those two parts together. If you go back through old hair posts, I think you'll find a youtube video on how to do this. Basically, you need to twist each part in one direction while you twist the two parts together in the other direction. I don't think I'm explaining this very well, but what I'm saying in my head while I'm doing it is "Twist to the right (twisting the hair like you might if you were twirling your hair with your finger because you are nervous or something), cross to the left (and then I cross that part over the other part, going in the opposite direction). Repeat until you have a long twist. End with a little rubber band. Then repeat with the other section(s). You'll have two (or more, if you started with more sections) long twists.

I found bobby pins that are shorter than normal and I use these because I feel like there's less chance of them pressing into her head while she's tumbling.

I wrap the two sections around into a bun, securing with the bobby pins as I go. Then I put a blonde hair net over the bun (they make them for different hair colors and they make them especially for buns... I got them at Sally Beauty Supply) and secure with more bobby pins. It looks nicer without the hair net... you can't really tell there's a hair net on it, but the hair net sort of squooshes the bun and you can't see the pretty twists as well. But I feel like it's more secure with the hair net in there. I have to double the hair net over because her hair is really fine and makes a pretty small bun. Then lots of hair spray.

Anyway, I'm very proud of my new chalk-bucket-taught bun skills that I've developed this year. When DD started in gymnastics, I always made the coach or another mom do her hair, but now I do it myself and it doesn't take all that long and it looks pretty good. Yea me!

Oh, and good luck to you too! You'll find a way that works on your hair. Oh, something else I've done, when I was first learning to do her meet hair myself, is that I went to the woman who cuts our hair and asked her to teach me how to do it. She didn't do a bun... she taught me how to "pineapple" DD's hair. But if you have someone who does your hair on a regular basis, you could schedule a trim, tell her the problems you've been having with the bun, and ask her to help you learn how to do it. Our hairstylist didn't even charge me any extra for the lesson (though I did give her an extra large tip).

My hair is long and reaches about halfway down my back when out. Thought I would suggest an alternative to a bun.

What we do is put our hair into a high pony and divide the hair into 5 sections. braid each section and tie with tiny elastic hair ties (the sort that come in clear and are really small and stretchy) at the ends. curl the ends to the pony base so you effectively have a loop made by the plats and tie with another hair tie. secure with bobby pins, i'll see if I can't find a picture but I hope you know what I mean (Its kind of like how maroney wears her hair but with braids and a bit neater.

I use the spiral pins - got them on ebay from China at a fraction of the cost in the stores ( $2 ish for 10), if dd is doing a competition I don't bun because she does f/r on beam and thinks it upsets her balance so I french plait either side (gets all those pesky ends in) and then either leave the plaits, bun both sides a la Peincess Leia, or stitch both plaits together at the nape of her neck

Snapshot 3 (16-11-2011 20-36).png

hth

Thanks for all the help guys!I've tried your suggestions and they definitely helped!Although my bun has an odd shape,instead of being the perfect "cinnamon roll" shaped bun its more of a blob of dough lol.Any suggestions on how to fix this?And if all else fails i think braiding the pony may work or just curling it.Also what do you do with the front of the hair?I prefer the sleeked back look but im worried my side bangs may fall out.Oh how i missed the stresses of competition season lol:)

My hair is long and reaches about halfway down my back when out. Thought I would suggest an alternative to a bun.

What we do is put our hair into a high pony and divide the hair into 5 sections. braid each section and tie with tiny elastic hair ties (the sort that come in clear and are really small and stretchy) at the ends. curl the ends to the pony base so you effectively have a loop made by the plats and tie with another hair tie. secure with bobby pins, i'll see if I can't find a picture but I hope you know what I mean (Its kind of like how maroney wears her hair but with braids and a bit neater.

Its a wonder how her hair stays in!She must use gallons of hair spray lol:)

Thanks for all the help guys!I've tried your suggestions and they definitely helped!Although my bun has an odd shape,instead of being the perfect "cinnamon roll" shaped bun its more of a blob of dough lol.Any suggestions on how to fix this?And if all else fails i think braiding the pony may work or just curling it.Also what do you do with the front of the hair?I prefer the sleeked back look but im worried my side bangs may fall out.Oh how i missed the stresses of competition season lol:)

The flattened "bun" is actually better especially if you do any backward type rolls/extentions. The sides spray them the the "glue hairspray" and take a comb and keep smoothing back until it sticks then put in a clip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back