EEP!Hair help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i have 3 suggestions....
1:if it is required to be in a bun use a hair net and tie another pony ontop of it plus if your gym has scrunchies that you wear for meets thats probably good also
2:my friend who is also a gymnast used to have really long hair, so her mom would put her hair in a pony and then take little sections and put hair gel on them, she would then use hair rollers. she would do this to the entire pony tail. and she would keep them in overnight. this made her hair go from the middle of her back to the bottom of her neck. plus it stayed in the entire meet.
3: if this is ok with your gym. put your hair in a regular pony and braid it..once it is braided take the bottom of the braid and bring it to the base of your pony and tie pony tails around that...with one braid, or you could do it with a bunch of little braids

and of course you a lot of hairspray, or hairgel.. good luck

Bun help

There are two tricks I like to use for getting a bun to look good and to stay in. If your hair has layers, consider putting your hair in two pony tails - one right under the other in a vertical line. This way, you can get the top layers secured separately from the shorter bottom laters. Make sure the pony tails are about an inch and a half away from each other but no more than two inches. The bigger the gap between them, the bigger around your bun will be. Then take the top pony and twist it all the way down to the tip so the hair is in a smooth roll. Take the roll and wrap it tight counter clockwise around its base and down under the base of the lower pony, sparingly using pins. Then take the lower pony and twist that one into a roll like the upper one. Again, wrap the lower pony roll tight counter clockwise but instead of around itself, you are going to go up around the upper pony, pinning sparingly and tucking as you go. It makes a very lovely ying/yang bun when you are finished. Once you have the bun in place, you will need to cover it with a bun hair net. You can get these at drug stores, dance stores, etc. They are really cheap and come in various colors. Gently work the net open and tuck the top edge of the net between your head and the top inside of the bun. Pull it down over the bun, tucking into the side edges of your bun and your head until you get to the bottom. Nets are always bigger than your bun, so you will want to twist it at the bottom and work it back up over your bun to cover it again. You should end at the top. Once the net is in place, place pins over the edges of the net while securing the entire bun. Use gel or hairspray to smooth down your sides. I find the two separate twists stay in much better than a single one because there is less weight. It is also less painful in regards to the pins because they aren't holding as much weight.

Thanks for all the help guys!i actually didn't end up competing today (go figure lol) because i tore/shifted my meniscus/ACL/cartilage in my knee on Monday.Im deffinatley going to use these tips when i do get to compete again:)

My best suggestion for a bun is using a bun-maker or a donut. When I wear my hair in a regular bun, it falls out constantly and I have to redo it all the time, therefore it looks messy. I honestly could not get the bun to stay in for the life of me. Then I found the bun maker, I can go through 4 hours of training with this in and my bun looks the same after practice as it did before. It's really simple to do, looks really slick and stays in wonderfully.The bun makers are really cheap (only around $4 for one) and you can find them all over the place. You can buy one that matches your hair color and put bobby pins right into it because of the spongy material, and a scrunchie around the bun finishes it off perfectly. If you still have some flyaways even with hairspray, I would try an Invisible Bun Cover, which is like a little hair net for over a bun, you can barely see it. If you can't get a bun maker, you could always try a sock bun, there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube of how to make these.

I have this one and it works really well. Conair Hair Bun Maker System | Walgreens Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back