WAG FHS Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
How can this vault vary so much? My daughter seems to be a chameleon with this one.
What causes so much variation? after all it is the same skill over and over......

DD went from a decent L4 one to a really good L5 one, now its shot.....Ive never seen it so ugly, almost like she's re learning it from scratch!....
They keep raising the table, lowering the table, moving the run......its crazy!!!!

Please someone tell me that some astonishing gym event will happen and my DD will have the perfect L7 FHS Vault within the next few weeks.........

The slightest bit of growth can affect a lot. It changes the steps, power, timing, etc. Mine varies too. If the springboard is a few inches off or the table is up or down it mentally changes my speed toward the table.

omg......I secretly hate that vault......and I have to show 'yay' support!!!!!! You got it girl!!!!
But I hate it.......6 weeks for the end of the season, and the end of this vault.....
I just want her to be clear on her setting! She is small....60lbs and they sometimes do 110, 115 , or 120..... They have done 125 even.....so when I ask what are you vaulting at, she says I don't know.
Thats not cool......

I just want her to be clear on her setting! She is small....60lbs and they sometimes do 110, 115 , or 120..... They have done 125 even
Puma Jr is 65 lbs and 51 3/4 inches and desperately wants it at 110. Her main coach wants 95 and she is furious over it. I guess she happened to be working with one of the owners who does mostly vault with the optionals and he liked her at 110. So the main coach has given into 105. To OP, I feel your pain! Puma Jrs vault was winning last year (different gym, smaller meets, Xcel gold, but still...) and the new gym completely took it apart, which was needed but tough for her. It was JUST coming back and then she had that bad sprain (possible fracture) arrrrrr...it looked AWFUL on Sunday...hopefully by Valentine's Day (next meet) it will improve. Hang in there!! I am amazed how much goes into a FHS vault....

Struggles here as well and we just started with this vault! My DD is 49 or so inches, probably not quite 50 lbs and she was initially vaulting 105 with some progression in form/scores, new coach raised her to 110 and it all fell apart.

Question - are there deductions for setting the vault table lower?

In compulsories, vault would always be at lowest setting for my petite DD and the others on the small side. For L7, it was still set low (not sure exactly what setting) for DD and two other smallest girls, and she worked her tail off to become decent. Growing definitely helped a bit... Once she got to 55" and 67 lbs, her front handspring vault was actually good, but she definitely had ups and downs when she grew, with the vault getting weak, and then better again.
Now at L8, DD is 57.5" and 70 lbs the Tsuk is her nemesis. DD is 100% muscle, runs like the wind but she just lacks power coming off the board compared to her teammates. There are a few teammates about her height but they definitely have more muscle mass on their legs (DD would have stick legs but for the massive amount of conditioning she does). A few years back when she was L5, a coach predicted vaulting would be tough for her at L8 and above, until (or unless) she 'grew into it'...and said she wouldn't likely be able to flip the vault well until she was at least 80+ lbs. Curious if anyone else has heard anything similar in terms of small size being a hinderance?

95 isn't a setting in JO levels though most manufactured vault tables from American companies go to 95 and it can be used in Xcel. Min JO level setting is 100.

95 isn't a setting in JO levels though most manufactured vault tables from American companies go to 95 and it can be used in Xcel. Min JO level setting is 100.
Good to know!!! That will help Puma Jrs cause! Lol

and said she wouldn't likely be able to flip the vault well until she was at least 80+ lbs. Curious if anyone else has heard anything similar in terms of small size being a hinderance?
We are nowhere near flipping vaults, but I have definitely seen more than one person on this board talking about this problem!

Absolutely it's harder to flip for the light ones, especially if they are both light and long/lanky. DD has transitioned to a twisting vault. DS is competing a yami half this year because his tsuk is not yet ready for prime time. He's not yet crossed that 80 lb. threshold, and even though he's doing a nice yami half at 1200, he simply isn't getting enough of a block to flip the tsuk. Next year . . .

In compulsories, vault would always be at lowest setting for my petite DD and the others on the small side. For L7, it was still set low (not sure exactly what setting) for DD and two other smallest girls, and she worked her tail off to become decent. Growing definitely helped a bit... Once she got to 55" and 67 lbs, her front handspring vault was actually good, but she definitely had ups and downs when she grew, with the vault getting weak, and then better again.
Now at L8, DD is 57.5" and 70 lbs the Tsuk is her nemesis. DD is 100% muscle, runs like the wind but she just lacks power coming off the board compared to her teammates. There are a few teammates about her height but they definitely have more muscle mass on their legs (DD would have stick legs but for the massive amount of conditioning she does). A few years back when she was L5, a coach predicted vaulting would be tough for her at L8 and above, until (or unless) she 'grew into it'...and said she wouldn't likely be able to flip the vault well until she was at least 80+ lbs. Curious if anyone else has heard anything similar in terms of small size being a hinderance?
My dd is small (47.5 in, around 60 lbs.), kinda the opposite of your dd. The only hinderance she had was her height. She has a solid yurchenko on FIG.....now! At her gym, there are girls probably around your dd height and weight learning the yurchenko. But they are just doing timers. No tsuks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back