Parents Flip Fest 2011

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
This was our first time going to Flip Fest, and it was a nice meet. My dd had 4 falls, ugh!, but still got first on bars and third on beam (Level 9), her team placed 4th. It was a little rough for her team, but levels 7 and 8 did pretty well.

She had a beautiful beam routine, then fell on her back tuck. So, she had a fall and lost a connection (9.8 start value) and still got an 8.7. That gives me hope for the next meet, knowing that she is capable of scoring at least a 9.4. Her AA also has room for hope for the next meet.

Scary moment: Going into her 2nd floor pass, her hands slipped on her round-off, and she still managed 2 front flips before landing on her bottom. Thank goodness it wasn't her neck, and it was a fluke fall, so I can't be too upset about it. I'm just so glad she didn't get hurt, as she has been hurt enough this year.

Ok, long thread over. It was pretty good, all things considered.

Last edited:
Glad you were able to enjoy the meet. Sounds like she is an amazing gymnast to do that well with 4 falls (don't you just hate days like that?). Also glad she did not get injured.

Good luck to her at the next meet. L9 is an accomplishment in itself.

Was thinking about the Flip Fest gymnasts this weekend. That crazy storm seems so long ago that I am glad that you all were able to get there safely.

Wow, she did so well even with four falls! Level 9 is so hard! Sounds like she is really going to rock it out on beam when she hits her back tuck! Congratulations on 1st on bars too!

Flipfest is still going! Just as last year since we were the host gym I did my part as a voluteer. Plus you get a shirt! Last year I stood at the entry/exit checking passes. This year I stepped up and agreed to do timed practice for vault. Little did I know my wife had signed us up to help the 9 and 10's. Have never gotten to see much at that level as it never coincides with where my daughter is. Just WOW. Have to say it was my pleasure getting to watch these girls compete. To watch from the stands is one thing, but to be right there amongst the team, coaches, judges was great. The girl's I took note of (mostly all) had their game faces on and was evident they were there to compete just as they had been trained. So much more of a sport at that level as it should be I guess.
Also took note of the different coaching "attitudes" for lack of a better word which were just as diverse as the gymnasts. Some were definately more personable than others. Which is cool too. All in all it was a great experience that I look forward to again.
Oh and my daughter had a great meet accomplishing a couple of personal goals along the way. Giant, giant fly-away and a 9.45 beam, 9+ on the floor, and then muffed her vault(8.65). Flipfest was her 2nd L7 meet and was a 35.8
I thought "good job", but she was mad at herself. Happy that she had the giants, glad about a solid beam, thought her floor was ok but was pointing out mistakes on the way home watching video, and mad about the vault. (1st meet was a 9.25 vault) Honestly as she progresses in this sport I am watching her grow up like I can't believe. She often times amazes me with her maturity. Just at gym though> When it's her and her sister at home I feel sometimes they are both 4 instead of 8 and 10.

Sounds like she did a pretty darn good job even with the falls. She should def. be proud of herself. Hope she continues to do great this season

Wow, thanks everyone. After seeing some of her level 8 teammates just rock it out, and then watching her former teammate compete at an NCAA meet and do awesome, she has been inspired to really work hard for the next meet. After practice today she said that she hadn't worked that hard in a long time. Thank goodness, because sometimes I wonder why we do this sport since it is so heartbreaking most of the time. I think she really wants to do well next time. Me too!! :) Thanks for all the nice comments. (and, she's been been competing a back tuck since level 8, but so inconsistent. I can't wait for the day a fall will be a surprise and not a normal occurrence.)

Sometimes seeing others do well brings that extra motivation! I'm glad she enjoyed the meet and that it's pushed her to work harder. DD had her Flip Fest meet yesterday. The beam still brings fits (she came off on a turn), but it's coming along. I'll post video on youtube later because even with the fall, she scored the highest on beam all season (8.675). Go figure! Bars and floor were not as clean as state, but I think she was a bit nervous being in front of a "home crowd". She still came in 2nd AA in her age group but I think she was happier for her teammates who did very well (some getting first place scores for the first time). Now on to the last two meets of the season!

Pretty amazing...good job. We also were at Flip Fest. In fact, drove home yesterday, arriving at 11 PM last evening...My grandaughter had a blast in Knoxville (great little historic area), but she was not so happy about her performance. Everything seemed fine, she was to start on beam and scratch (not consistent on her BWO, BHS flight series), so she was ok at that point... That's when things got messed up...they moved to vault as a first rotation instead of beam and it came as a surprise...this is her premo event, usually scoring in the 9+ but she didn't land (not even one) warm up vault and then fell on both her trys...8.275, ugh! Moving onto bars (this event and beam are the rotations she does not do well on), she actually pulled off a 7.8 with a fall and some sloppy giants but she was happy with that-this is their first meet of the season and mostly new L8 girls. Next came beam, scratch and then floor. To her surprise someone else in the rotation who had just completed their rotation prior to hers had the same music, too funny since it is pretty obscure in my opinion...During floor, I think she spaced out and ended up re-choregraphing part of her routine in order to finish with the music (leaving a piece out that I absolutely love, but completing all her requirements)...she got a 9.1-low for her but ok anyway. She was not a happy camper and that was not fun to deal with but we have reminded her that this is only the first meet, that "crap" happens and the Sand Dollar is coming up this weekend where she can get the really "cool" metals...I think she will live to see another meet but it was touch and go for a bit....btw, no thanks to her, they still took 2nd place...hopefully she will be of more help to her teammates this weekend.

GAgymmom - sounds like your dd is off to a great start, great placements for bars & beam. Glad to hear that she is focused and working hard to improve for the next meet. When is her next meet?

GAgymmom - sounds like your dd is off to a great start, great placements for bars & beam. Glad to hear that she is focused and working hard to improve for the next meet. When is her next meet?

Sunday, 8am, ugh! I think she's tired of falling and scoring low when she knows she can do better. So I hope the motivation translates to glued feet!! LOL! Thank you for the encouraging words. Oh, she gave up her wrist guards, which is what caused her to slip last week, and is taping her wrists now!!! i promised to be the cash cow for tape if she would stop wearing her wrist guards on floor.

GAgymmom--sounds like dd had a great meet despite the falls. Falls are going to happen and are part of the sport. Bravo to your dd for overcoming the falls and still doing great!!!!

Good luck to your dd. My dd has another meet this Friday, report time 4:15pm! Thankfully she has exams this week & half days; otherwise, I would of had to pull her out of school. As for falling, all I have to say is this: these girls do not go out there and intentionally fall, they want to hit everything and when they do fall there is no one who could be harder on them then themselves! Like other parents have said, once they reach level 9 & 10, it's not baby gymnastics anymore. These girls are doing hard skills. I have a newfound view of the sport since my dd broke her foot last year (and ended up being out for 4 months, that's how long it took to heal), I am thrilled if she can go out there and not get injured in the course of the meet. If we can avoid injury, it was a victorious day! I am sure your dd will pull it together - remember, not many do hit for all 4 events and the ones (or should I say one) that does wins the AA. The fact that your dd won bars is amazing!!!! Like our HC always says, there is gymnastics and then there is bars - it's like it's own animal!!! Can't wait to hear about Sunday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back