Parents from level 4 to 5 (old)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is going to compete old level 5 or new 4 this season. She had most of her skills, still struggling with the dreadful glide kip and cartwheel consistency but on the right track.

I noticed that she is much more tired after practice, And more tired in general. Additionally, while up until now she would basically do gymnastics 24x7 (we used to say its a waste to buy her shoes as she is on her hands most of the one anyway) she just stopped. She loves her gym and teammates and seems happy in general.

I guess what I am asking is - is the move from 4 to 5 that dramatic? Did anyone experience that?

Hard to say what is bugging her. So here are some suggestions you can try at home. (if you are already doing this then don't get defensive, as I have no idea who you are). :)
1 if she is having difficulty with a particular skill, don't ask her about it or try to get into her head. Don't even bring it up. If she says something to you about it, simply say. "oh, you will get it". (and that's it)
2 If you are watching workouts, stop
3 and finally don't drown her in private lessons. or cut them out entirely for a few weeks.

And that's pretty much all you can do on your end., (take any additional stress off of her). Odds are she is feeling like she is just never gonna get that darn kip! and then one day they get it, then lose it, then get it..... If none of my suggestions apply to you then,,, just keep dropping her off until she masters that kip! Hope that helps.

It may have nothing to do with anything that is happening in the gym, how old is she? Sometimes they hit an age where their energy levels change dramatically and they go from squirmy kids that can't stay still to slower moving pre teens that need a bomb under them to start them up.

Has she increased her hours in the gym or the schedule in general? Is there something going on at school or with friends that she may feel like she is missing? Could be almost anything. Perhaps ask her if something is bothering - keep it general, not about gymnastics specifically. Good luck!

Thanks. I believe it's a combination.. She is going to turn 10. I don't think she feels she is missing anything at school but I guess the level if energy is different as they grow up.. Will try to see if something is bothering her.. Thanks.

It is probably a combination of many factors: increased hours, more difficult skills, other girls getting skills faster, winding down of the school year, testing, sleeping (with it staying light longer, the sleep patterns change, even if she is going to bed at the same time. She may not be getting to sleep as easily or may be waking earlier), growth spurt, nutrition... You get the picture. But, Yes, the jump between those 2 levels can be daunting for some kids, particularly if there has been little uptraining in previous levels. I think it is also the level where gymnastics starts to go from easy/fun to work. Hopefully, they still have fun, but there definitely more work involved, including more conditioning.

Turning 10. The days of her becoming a preteen.

The jump from L4 to L5 is big. The jump from L3 to L4 is a yawn besides ROBHS.

That jump is where a lot of kids don't make it. Kips are one of those skills that just seem to take forever to get vs tumbling skills.

It may have nothing to do with anything that is happening in the gym, how old is she? Sometimes they hit an age where their energy levels change dramatically and they go from squirmy kids that can't stay still to slower moving pre teens that need a bomb under them to start them up.

DS isn't a gymnast but he is 10 and I (and some of the other moms o his classmates) are starting to see some of this. It might just be age.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back