WAG Front Handspring Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
I have a girl who has a really great front handspring vault - not so much on the floor though. She squats it every time. Her arms always flail out to the side. I've tried tying them in to keep them by her ears and that's not helping. She has a really nice block on the vault, but why not on the floor?

Any drills you've had that have been successful in this situation?

How is her split? When they do a front handspring on floor. They need to gain power by quickly pushing their back leg to a needle split while simultaneously driving off the front leg. On vault they punch a spring board with legs together, so inability to quickly reach the needle split will affect the power they have to block with on floor just like being lose on the board would cause them to be unable to do the other things on vault.

What helped our boys with the arm issue, was using a strap on their wrists to keep their arms by their ears. They were all pleasantly shocked at how much better the fronthandspring was.

Also, doing it over a barrel to teach the open position once the hands leave the floor.

Some kids are so focused on getting their feet to the floor they force it and end up tucked.

My dd has the same problem right now. She has a great split, can do front limber, front walk over with no problem. But for some reason, she sometimes land her fhs on a squat :(

I had her working it yesterday. I think it would help if the barrel had little spikes all over it. She is rolling up on it which isn't solving the problem. No matter. We will keep working it, but I can change that pass. She should have a nice front tuck on her own by states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back