Front Limber

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

Izzie

I'm having a lot of problems standing up from my front limber that I just started working in gym- I kick up into a good handstand, and fall into my bridge with no problems. But even after rocking, moving my feet in towards my hands, and shifting my shoulders back, I can never get up! Unless my coach is spotting me, I always end up falling on my bottom D:

Does anyone have any tips or conditioning that I can do at home so I can stand up from my front limber? I want to be able to safely get this skill as soon as possible without spot!

My best advice is to "look at your hands".

While in bridge,keep your head tilted back alot, almost as if your ponytail was glued to the back of your neck. Keep seeing your hands.

Keep rocking, keep making your bridge small, and try looking at your hands.This will ensure you do not "Lead with your chin".

My preteamers all stand up from bridge.This is how they got it. Well this is one of the ways.

We played a game... How far can you make it? Challenging, and fun. Do bridges on different surfaces. Your feet are always on the floor. Hands go up on the following surfaces....You move on if you achieve each one. STart on a block. Move down to an 8 incher. Move down to a folded panel mat. Move down to a regular panel mat.Then to the floor.

Basically it gets harder and harder as your hands go to lower surfaces

Do bridges on different surfaces. Your feet are always on the floor. Hands go up on the following surfaces....You move on if you achieve each one. STart on a block. Move down to an 8 incher. Move down to a folded panel mat. Move down to a regular panel mat.Then to the floor.

Basically it gets harder and harder as your hands go to lower surfaces

My DD is trying to learn this at the moment and this is how she is practicing. I think it is going to take some time chipping away at it, but she does seem to be improving.

My daughter got her front handspring before she got her front limber. She just could not figure out how to lift up slowly from the bridge. Then one day she just seemed to get it and was able to do it from that moment forward. Her coach spotted her and would remind her to keep that head as the last thing to come up. I think once they get the feel of it - like many things - it becomes easier.

Feel the lean into your ankles and knees. Work it progressively with mats or a wedge. Do lots of bridge wall walks. By the time you can do them with straight arms barely sliding down the wall, standing up will be not be so difficult.

One thing I found helpful with this was to do a baby backbend(start on your knees and so a backbend that way) and then pick yourself up from that. ActuLly its the same idea as progressing from different blocks. But I found this to work best for me personally

If at anytime, you lose tension in your butt by not squeezing, you will fall. You must not flex or bend at all in the hips. I prefer gymnasts not to pull their chin or close their shoulders, as that is something that is bad technique and often couples with them falling on their butt in the limber or handspring.

I just noticed that when I rock to stand up, it doesn't seem like I'm getting momentum or anything. I'm able to stand up just fine from a bridge with hands on other objects, but once I start getting to about 10 inches off the floor, I can't do it D:

So frustrating, and now I'm starting to have problems just falling into the bridge sometimes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back