WAG Interesting L3 to L7 progression-statement by experienced coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I can't remeber which book it was, but last week when I had some spare time in the city I went into a store which had a lot of sport stuff. There was a book with many interesting facts about gymnastics.

There was an interview with an American gymnastics coach who coached many high level athletes.

He stated the following:
When the "normal" child (means not overly or humbly strong/flexible) with no prior experience in the sport enters gymnastics and trains a normal amount of time (4-9 hours) it will take this child about 1 year to get the feeling for it, understand important body moves and develope a good amount of strength. In this first year, progress usually seems a little slower in skills but is very important as it develops an understanding for the sport. They might be Level 3 by then.
But once this stage is hit, progress is (skillwise) usually much faster.
Once a kid is Level4, strong and flexible and has a passion for the sport she can rush until she has down the Level 7 skills. Although it gets a little more difficult, once you are a good and strong Level4 gymnast, making the way to Level 7 is considered "easy". After Level 7 things get a lot trickier, harder and need detailed programming and hard work. The children might have some of the flips on the tumbl trak, maybe some bar skills already, but being a good Level 8 is usually a lot harder compared to Level7.

What is your opinion on this?

I can't remeber which book it was, but last week when I had some spare time in the city I went into a store which had a lot of sport stuff. There was a book with many interesting facts about gymnastics.

There was an interview with an American gymnastics coach who coached many high level athletes.

He stated the following:
When the "normal" child (means not overly or humbly strong/flexible) with no prior experience in the sport enters gymnastics and trains a normal amount of time (4-9 hours) it will take this child about 1 year to get the feeling for it, understand important body moves and develope a good amount of strength. In this first year, progress usually seems a little slower in skills but is very important as it develops an understanding for the sport. They might be Level 3 by then.
But once this stage is hit, progress is (skillwise) usually much faster.
Once a kid is Level4, strong and flexible and has a passion for the sport she can rush until she has down the Level 7 skills. Although it gets a little more difficult, once you are a good and strong Level4 gymnast, making the way to Level 7 is considered "easy". After Level 7 things get a lot trickier, harder and need detailed programming and hard work. The children might have some of the flips on the tumbl trak, maybe some bar skills already, but being a good Level 8 is usually a lot harder compared to Level7.

What is your opinion on this?
Well, having had 3 girls in this sport and been in the sport for my entire life, I would say that these statements are way too general. I truly have seen it all. I guess in general, I would agree to some extent on the basic premise of the statements. I don't know that I think that a level 4 gymnast is necessarily strong and flexible-I've seen many that aren't! The strength and flexibility to compete level 4 isn't necessarily what is needed to compete 7. However, there is way too much variation in programs, physiques, mental state, etc. to really generalize much in this sport. I will agree that after level 7 is gets MUCH harder. (especially fear!) It is fairly basic gymnastic skill and technique before that. I will also say that the jump to level 10 gymnastics is an entirely different world than before than and elite is nothing even comparable.

Thank you for your wise words. I always appreciate getting advice from experienced people! What I wrote is not the exact same as in the book, I cut it a little shorter.

He definitely stated this on the assumption that the girls who will progress fast NEED to be strong (in the gymnastics way like pull-ups, push ups, leg lifts) and flexible to rush quickly. Which to me actually seems logical. It would be a lot easier for you to learn a cast to straddle handstand when you have got your straddle press handstand!

But that was the last sentence of the interview: "Once you are strong, flexible, willing to work hard and understanding the basic moves of the sport - which would be ideally achieved by Level 4 - compulsory Levels are going to be a breeze compared to what will come after Level 7!"

It sounds about right for the average child, if such a thing can be said, who has no exceptional qualities one way or the other (good or bad). That type of progression could be hoped for if this model child worked with some enthusiasm and hard work under the direction of a good coach. The hours would have to go up at each level, but not so much that you'd think they were training toward L10 or elite.

Honestly, when you take away the fear factor and mysticism of going upside down.... with twist.... and have a coach who's words you believe in, the sport gets fairly easy through L8.

After that it's a whole new world.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back