Parents Keeping hair up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mamaplum

Proud Parent
I am searching for a great hair tie for my 7yo. She has really thick fine strait as can be below shoulder length hair and we can't keep her hair up for an entire practice. I have tried the silicone kind and the grippy kind but her ponytail still slips out. Also she wants a hair band to keep her wispies at bay too but can't find any to fit her head with out slipping off constantly because they are to big or small. Any leads on good hair bands and ties for practice?

My DD has the same type of hair. We use the thicker Goodie brand ties triple looped and she cannot use a head band unless she feels like chasing it all practice. If the wispys are bothersome, she will use the flat clips that snap into place to get them to stay. Occasionally she will spray them down too, but not typically for practice.

I use a plait (braid) across the front - from ear to ear, for the whispies and then two, sometimes 3 elastics.

like this but I only do a 3 strand braid

That looks complicated lol.... I have done all sorts of styles for her (NOT good at braids) I have found on pintrest but time is also an issue.....

the three strand version of the above hairstyle really isn't complicated, promise! You start with three thin strands of hair at the level of the top of the ear on one side. Each time you cross over the strand nearest her face, you add in a bit of the hair between the braid and her face. You do not bring in hair from the other side, so it is really simpler than a french braid. It is really effective and looks cute! Why not try it sometime when she is watching TV and thus suitably distracted?!

The braid is actually quite simple and usually only takes me a couple extra minutes! Dad's hair stays put for the entire practice when we use the headband braid. We have tried the head bands, but my dd always loses them in the pit. We also use 2 thick and tight ponty tail holders.

For the wispies, you can do a mini-ponytail on each side with just the front hair, then gather the mini-ponytails into the main ponytail.

My daughter has been wearing the headband that came with her Under Armour leotard to practice, and it's the only one that has ever stayed in. She hates the leo, though, so that's one expensive headband (see other thread on Under Armour leos).

Thanks ladies! I may try that braid tomorrow. We usually do the little ponytails from the front and pull back but lately she just wants a single ponytail. So I have been trying to work with that lol. We found some silicone under armor headbands at tjmaxx last night and they held up really well for her yesterday. She still wants a pretty sparkly fancy one that i can bling up for her with her gyms initials lol. I told her she will have to wait for that one.

my dd wears the elastic headbands and then puts one clip on either side of her head to keep from losing it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back