Parents Athletic headbands/coverings for alopecia?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Finaille

Proud Parent
My kiddo who is Xcel Silver developed alopecia a few months ago. She has lost too much hair for her to desire to put in a ponytail, but has enough hair it is getting in her face for practices.

Any suggestions for thick athletic hairbands suitable for a 9 year old, or athletic head coverings so we can keep her hair out of her face?

Any ideas for competition season are appreciated as well!

Maybe ask her coaches for ideas that would be safe? Our gym doesn’t allow headbands because they can slip over girls’ eyes. I wonder if a Nike skull cap like the kind that football players wear under helmets might work and stay on?

You can try dry shampoo like baptiste too.
It can help give some coverage. There are different colored ones depending on hair color it's going on.

Maybe ask her coaches for ideas that would be safe? Our gym doesn’t allow headbands because they can slip over girls’ eyes. I wonder if a Nike skull cap like the kind that football players wear under helmets might work and stay on?
They are giving her wiggle room cause she has lost nearly 50% of her hair.

They personally have not had a gymnast with alopecia, so they are about as clueless as we are.

I’ve been thinking about your daughter since you posted. In my initial response I didn’t mentioned that my daughter has very mild alopecia areta that for now responds to topical steroids, and depending on your daughter’s diagnosis I hope topical or injected steroids are an option if she wants it.

This isn’t a solution but I thought this article might help a little bit:

(Australia always has such good sports resources!)

This is an older article about a gymnast in KY:

A world-class swimmer:

Gabby Douglas has also been pretty public recently about her alopecia struggles. I don’t think she ever shared a specific diagnosis but the way she speaks about hiding bald spots and hair frustrations hints at it. Hugs to your daughter. I know hair isn’t the most important thing, but gymnastics has so many rituals around hair- from fiddling with ponytails during practice to prepping meet hair- that this has to be extra tough for you both.

I’ve been thinking about your daughter since you posted. In my initial response I didn’t mentioned that my daughter has very mild alopecia areta that for now responds to topical steroids, and depending on your daughter’s diagnosis I hope topical or injected steroids are an option if she wants it.

This isn’t a solution but I thought this article might help a little bit:

(Australia always has such good sports resources!)

This is an older article about a gymnast in KY:

A world-class swimmer:

Gabby Douglas has also been pretty public recently about her alopecia struggles. I don’t think she ever shared a specific diagnosis but the way she speaks about hiding bald spots and hair frustrations hints at it. Hugs to your daughter. I know hair isn’t the most important thing, but gymnastics has so many rituals around hair- from fiddling with ponytails during practice to prepping meet hair- that this has to be extra tough for you both.
My kiddo has ophiasis pattern alopecia areata, so the hair loss is literally where a wide headband sits naturally on the head. I am exploring a gym wig for competitions- that said, we found some peace for now with elastic bandanas.

Topical steroids made her feel sick and she is not comfortable with injections. She is choosing no treatment.

I appreciate all the helpful articles! Thank you!

The easiest thing physically would be to simply cut it. I get that’s difficult emotionally. There are very cute short styles

I am not very knowledgeable on this condition, but would something like hairspray or hair gel be safe to use? Maybe it could help keep her hair in place if a headband doesn't stay well.

Also I'm unsure about this other recommendation but I think it's worth mentioning. I've seen gymnasts compete wearing the nike hijabs that are tight around the head. I am unsure as to whether this would be an insensitive garment to wear assuming your family does not practice Islam, but I have seen these coverings stay on very securely.

I am not very knowledgeable on this condition, but would something like hairspray or hair gel be safe to use? Maybe it could help keep her hair in place if a headband doesn't stay well.

Also I'm unsure about this other recommendation but I think it's worth mentioning. I've seen gymnasts compete wearing the nike hijabs that are tight around the head. I am unsure as to whether this would be an insensitive garment to wear assuming your family does not practice Islam, but I have seen these coverings stay on very securely.
The front half of the left side of her head is very bald- there is more loss around the head but the loss is literally where a headband would sit. For now we are working with elastic bandanas. I will have to figure out options for competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back