level 3 floor routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had a couple of questions relating to the level 3 floor routine. First, what should a gymnast do if she does not complete the roll portion of the handstand forward roll? (handstand back to lunge instead of roll) What is the deduction if the skill is repeated (correctly) vs skipping the roll portion and moving on to the round off?
Second, is there a limit on the number of steps that should be taken in the approach to the roundoff? If so, what is the deduction for extra steps? My daughter was taught to take no more than 3 steps by her original coach at her first gym, but her new coach hasn't specified this to her or her teammates. The rest of her teammates tend to take much larger running starts which seem to make their roundoffs a little more powerful looking. Is my daughter correct in sticking with the 3 steps or should she do her approach like the rest of her team.
thanks for any input!

I will ask the my daughter's coach tomorrow if I remember. My dd is competing level 3 but I really don't know myself the answer to these questions. I will get back to you. Now I am a little curious.

I always have my L3 girls repeat the skill if they miss the roll. My understanding is that it counted as a fall however by redoing the skill they can take only the fall deduction. If they do not do the roll then it is considered substituting or omitting a major element which can be over a point vs the .5 deduction. I'm not 100% sure on that, but that is what I have my girls do.
As for the roundoff, the text says "take one-to-three running steps and hurdle" into the roundoff. Each step beyond those three are 0.10 with a maximum of 0.30 per tumbling pass- which in this case is just the roundoff. This rule will continue to apply all the way through the compulsory level as each element up to roundoff back handspring back tuck for level six says "take one-to-three running steps."
I have been guilty in the past of just looking at the skills the girls had to learn in their routines and forgetting to read the text underneath- and there is some very valuable information in the text.
It sounds like you need to question the coach on why they are taking more than three steps... they might have a reason, but to keep my girls used to it, we always only do three steps into all our tumbling skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back