motivation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my daughter's coach asked me today for ideas on how to motivate her. She has potential to be really good at Level 8 and move to 9 but he doesn't see her strive for anything. At home she talks about improving and moving up but he wants her to push herself. So I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to get 13 year old to want more? When we talk with her about her goals she just shrugs, usually. When I ask her about trying to make Regionals she just says she wouldn't want to go alone (her team mates may not make it).
She is not usually the type to "show off" but sometimes I wish she was. This is also her third year at Level 8 and she may be a bit bored but neither she or coaches seem to be pushing level 9 because she has been inconsistent with level 8 skills. He is allowing her to add some new skills to her 8 routines and she has a new floor routine.

There was a great article on here a while back about intrinsic v. extrinsic motivation. I'm sure someone will find the link and post it. luBut the bottom line is, that the gymnast has to be the one w/that motivation. I don't think anyone can "give" it to her!! Good luck and I hope she can rekindle her passion!

There was a great article on here a while back about intrinsic v. extrinsic motivation. I'm sure someone will find the link and post it. luBut the bottom line is, that the gymnast has to be the one w/that motivation. I don't think anyone can "give" it to her!! Good luck and I hope she can rekindle her passion!

I agree.

Bear in mind though that 13 can be a difficult age, she might be growing, hitting puberty, and all of a sudden she's working hard but staying still. Her lack of improvement may be hidden because her effort is taken up with maintaining her skills- all of a sudden she has an extra few kilo's and inches to lift and throw round.

Like TQM says it has to come from her, but if she's enjoying gym and still wants to go don't write her off just yet :)

I know that my daughter feels that she isn't "great" because there is always someone in the gym who is better than her. I recorded her "Grades", made a short dvd and let her take it into school for her class to see. The teacher was so impressed they showed it to the whole school at assembly and she really felt good a no-one else in school can do what she does.

13 is such a difficult age as Faith says.......

so difficult!

intrinsic motivation is essential!

my youngest was 'a talent' for most sports - put him in swimming and gym at around age 7, but he didnt have the motivation - and left gym at about 8 and a half and swimming at 11, as he really didnt enjoy it although he was getting loads of attention from coaches, and i was being pressured to encourage him due to his talent... he went to speed skating, and roller hockey for a while, and the ymca open skating session, then he ended up just quitting sports.. so much a waste of 'what could have been' were my thoughts for a while - but he just wasnt of the personality and didnt like the attention!
he now (age 14) enjoys hiking with us as a family, his computer.. , and generally more 'quiet' activities!
My dd (eldest - of 4) was also talented sport wise - she however is motivated herself - and has gone very far with her chosen sport - but on her own terms

My two middle children - one completely non sporty and art obsessed - one medium sport talented and medium motivated! Enjoys it but just on a fun basis - maybe not getting the crazy coach giving him attention helped in that way!

I know that my daughter feels that she isn't "great" because there is always someone in the gym who is better than her. I recorded her "Grades", made a short dvd and let her take it into school for her class to see. The teacher was so impressed they showed it to the whole school at assembly and she really felt good a no-one else in school can do what she does.

13 is such a difficult age as Faith says.......
WOW that is a cool thing for her. My daughter did that for her 5th grade class and she really did feel good. Her teacher that year was real big on promoting each kid as an individual. Thanks for the idea.

I'm 13 as well...It's good that her coaches aren't pushing her into skills, my coach says that if they push us into skills, we devolep fears. I am a level eight, moving on nine next season. I made regionals last year for level seven, and I only placed on floor and beam. The only thing that pushed me for gymnastics all these years is that I loved being in the gym. I begged my mom and coach to let me stay late and train. I worked really hard to be where I am now.

what i do, is i take an expo marker and write things like 10.0 and stick the layout on my mirror in the bathroom. it wipes right off!

It could be that she is holding back. That would be my take, especially based on what you wrote about striving for Regionals. She doesn't want to disappoint anyone, but she also doesn't want to go to Regionals alone. My first thought was fear, I thought she could be disguising her fear with lack of motivation, but when I saw the comment about Regionals it made me think different.

Motivation comes from within, very hard to have it come externally. I think there are times when the girls are extremely motivated and other times they are skirting by. If she is not motivated now, I don't believe that it's the end for her, I do believe the fire can be lit again, but it will be on her terms. She has to find what drives her. It would be so easy if we could do it for them, wouldn't it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back